cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why NX allows “Out of Date” drawings and expect to update them manually?

Phenom
Phenom

Today I opened an project and made one of the subassemblies as a “Displayed Part”. It brought me in to Drafting environment. There were some dandling dimensions which I fixed and then I printed it for the shopfloor.

Later I was told the print doesn’t match the physical assembly but the drawing title details. Then I found out it was the previous similar design (Clone) in the print with current project details (Attrributes driven). The Draft is updated only after I manually update the sheet/views. I was surprised that it allowed without any hesitation for me to work with non-existing model objects. It even allows to save and/or export outdated/wrong details in different formats!

I’m wondering why NX allows this and isn’t this a dangerous situation? What is the benefit of showing wrong details in the draft with “Out of Date” note at a corner?

Michael Fernando

Die Designer
NX 11.0.2.7 + PDW

14 REPLIES

Re: Why NX allows “Out of Date” drawings and expect to update them manually?

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom
Hi Mike, I just wanted to confirm... is your concern that text (driven by attributes) in the title block, etc, of the cloned drawing sheet was out of date, and that the Out of Date status did not correctly reflect this state?
Did everything else (e.g. views) update correctly?

Regards, Ben

Phenom
Phenom

@BenBroad

Drawing title box gives the correct details (=automatically updated) as they are driven by new project details. But the drawing is not reflecting the new model details; it’s the old model (=out of date). Only way of knowing it, is the “Out of Date” note @ BLH side which indicates a manual update. Otherwise if you didn't notice it, you could dimension, save, print, export wrong/unmaching/outdated drafting details.   

When this drawing is printed at this state and then goes to the shop floor, everybody is confused and in chaos!

My question is, why do you expect a manual drawing update? Why couldn’t it be all ways up-to-date?

Michael Fernando

Die Designer
NX 11.0.2.7 + PDW

Legend
Legend
Out of date is present in other cad and is used for different reasons. Maybe nx can show on view a label out of date.

Inviato da Outlook per Android
Thank you...

Using NX 11 / RuleDesigner PDM

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

You can always be up-to-date.  "Delay View Update" is managed in the Drafting Standards section of the Customer Defaults and it's on by default.  You can also control this in your session by selecting: "Menu > Tools > Update > Delay View Update.

I can see why you would want to disable this option, but trust me, when you're working on HUGE drawings of complicated parts you do not want this off by default.  I used to work for a company that would routinely place up to 50 views on a sheet, that when printed could be rolled out about 20 feet along the floor.  You didn't want that drawing to update until you really had to - and then you'd go out for lunch.

Regards, Ben

Phenom
Phenom

With PDW, it’s needed to work on fully loaded assemblies. We normally have 3views maximum. So I’m going to try to work with up-to-date drawings, which will avoid misinterpretation.

This “Out-of-Date” status has always bothered me. Hopefully this switch will clear this issue.

Michael Fernando

Die Designer
NX 11.0.2.7 + PDW

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

I personally prefer to update views manually. Is good that NX allows user to choose between automatic and manually updating views.

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

I second this.

Delayed update is the mark of a superior cad system, less advanced ones do not allow this.

This feature allows users to notice changes, track these, and check the update takes place

as expected and that doesn't apply to drafting only. In general I'm scared by everything is

automatic and I always try to break automated links.

As engineers we should know Murphy's law of associativity :  "wanted changes never propagate,

while the unwanted ones immediately propagate throughout the entire project without notice".

This is for real, not a joke, there is plenty of horror stories around about this.

Phenom
Phenom

Passing 2D, now we are in 3D parametric design era. 2d drawing is just representing what is in 3D model. Unlike in those 2d days, now 3D model is what driving in 2d drafting. Introducing new PMI, MBD systems; Dimensioning, projected views, cross-sectional views are reduced to the minimum or just to a basic pictorial view with some basic dimensions, a part list and other annotations or tables.

I always use “Delay Geometry, Expressions, PMI Update” command in Modeling. But having a switch, not to update 2d representation dynamically is inviting for issues and could be catastrophic; like the one I experienced yesterday.   

Michael Fernando

Die Designer
NX 11.0.2.7 + PDW

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

In my case I want to know the changes just in case I have to add dimensions, modify tolerances...