Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why NX shows small and large letters ? Problem importing.

Genius
Genius

Hello

We have a part naming guide of PULxxxxx.prt in large letters ( like PUL000004, Teamcenter 11 ).

Now someone named native parts with small letters pulxxxxx.prt and NX 11 Import Assembly into TC gives an error and does not automatically change pul to large letters PUL .

How to change the small letters pul to large letters PUL ?

• Windows says during NX Save As ERROR="same name file already exists in the folder"

I want all those pul- to PUL- before importing the assembly. How is this possible ?

13 REPLIES

Re: Why NX shows small and large letters ? Problem importing.

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Hi @12131444,

Edit your ugii_env.dat (environment) file, which by default is found here: %UGII_BASE_DIR%\UGII

Add the variable "UGII_OPTION" and set it to the value: "UPPER".

# This file should be used to override any standard NX environment variables.
# The values defined here will take precedence over the NX values. This file 
# will not be overwritten by an MR installation. 
#
# Override any variables here.

UGII_OPTION=UPPER

#

Restart NX and import your files into Teamcenter.

From the ugii_env_ug.dat:

File system options.  If LOWER is set, filenames will be converted to lower case before being used.  If UPPER is set, filenames will be converted to upper case before being used.  If neither is set, filenames will be used as the user types them in.

Regards, Ben

Genius
Genius

1.) No "#"- mark on front of the text UGII_OPTION=UPPER ?
2.) Do I need those empty spaces above and below UGII_OPTION=UPPER ?

3.) What is similar file "ugii_env.dat_default" ? ( NX 11 )

4.) Are TC 11's NX-files in the same folder or how to change TC 11 NX-files also ?

C:\Program Files\Siemens\NX 11.0\UGII

#
#     Copyright 1991 - 2013 Siemens Product Lifecycle Management Software Inc.
#                                   All Rights Reserved.
#
###############################################################################
# 
#
# This file should be used to override any standard NX environment variables.
# The values defined here will take precedence over the NX values. This file 
# will not be overwritten by an MR installation. 
#
# Override any variables here.
UGII_OPTION=UPPER
#

Genius
Genius
After changing the file NX 11 (or NX 11 inside TC 11) won't start anymore I opened the file as normally in notepad and saved with Save As Type=All files *,*.

It just freezes to Router: "Routing to application".
I try to restart Windows 7.

Genius
Genius

Ok NX 11 starts after restarting Windows-

But Import Assembly into TC still with OS Filename makes Part ID names like before all in Lower/Small letterings.

Should I try to change both files ?

ugii_env.dat

ugii_env.dat_default

I found only this forum on same subject:

http://www.eng-tips.com/viewthread.cfm?qid=250037

"I did veryify this. The UPPER works if you start/build everything from scratch. However, if you switch to UPPER and you call up an ASSEMBLY that has parts that are already named lower case and do a "Save ALL" it saves the parts as UPPER and renames on disk. However, the next time you call that assembly up, it gives an Internal error: Memory access violation on the part that it renamed.... interesting."

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

ugii_env_ug.dat - This is SIEMENS file to control.  Do NOT edit it.  Siemens may change arbitrarily at MR or MP upgrades.

ugii_env.dat - THIS is the file you want to edit (unless you have the ENV variable UGII_ENV_FILE set, in which case that file should be edited instead)

ugii_env.dat_default - this is a "backup" of ugii_env.dat, in case you really screw up ugii_env.dat and want to get back to the "as installed" settings.  Do NOT edit it...

Briefly, when NX starts, it only uses ONE definition for an ENV variable. 

The FIRST one defined in the following list is the one that gets used (all "later" ones are ignored):

1. "process specific" OS level ENV (e.g. defined in a .BAT file used to start NX)
  2. "user" OS level ENV (System -> Advanced system settings -> Environment Variables -> TOP half of dialog)
  3. "system" OS level ENV (System -> Advanced system settings -> Environment Variables -> BOTTOM half of dialog)
  4. ugii_env.dat _OR_ file pointed to by ENV variable UGII_ENV_FILE 
  5. ugii_env_ug.dat

If you are using TC, *I think* they are set between (1) and (2).  Also note, in TC, that if you change an OS level ENV (2 or 3 above), you have to close _BOTH_ NX _and_ TC, then restart TC, then start NX, for NX to see the change.

1 thru 3 follow the same rules are your operating system

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP16/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steamed than e-diseaseled

Siemens Phenom

The following movie starts off with a native session showing lower case part file names. I then set UGII_OPTION=UPPER in the ugii_env.dat file and start an NX session from Teamcenter and import the lower case native parts into Teamcenter. You'll see them import as UPPER CASE. I then unset the variable and restart the NX session from Teamcenter to show that the upper case names remain. Hope this helps.

(view in My Videos)

Genius
Genius

Yes using TC 11 and NX 11

NX seems to be using this file:
NX 11 Log file:
"Using environment file \\PRO-TC-001\NX_Site\ugii_env.dat"
Do I need to ask the "server administrator" to change the setting ?

- So my changes here are useless =C:\Program Files\Siemens\NX 11.0\UGII\ugii_env.dat ?
These words are not found inside Log file:
"UGII_OPTION"="UPPER"

Siemens Phenom

From all this information the answer does appear that your system admin will have to change the setting for you. It will have the effect to change it for everyone then so as a company you may need to decide if this needs to be a permanent or temporary change. 

Scott

Genius
Genius

Someone suggested to add the code to here. So it would overrider server env. settings:

• But now NX 11 won't start when the code is in there. Should I try to restart windows or just remove the added UPPER code.

Edit the system environment variables

variables2323.jpg