Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is NX 12 slower than NX 10.... Updated?

Legend
Legend

Hello, We recently moved from NX 10 to NX 12 and it seems like NX 12 is quite a bit slower than 10.  (editing an existing sketch, update time after making a change in a sketch, working on a part in an assembly, etc.) I'll even just  want to move a hole up in a part, so I'll hi-light the feature and RMB "Edit  with Rollback" and it just sits there and has "Work in Progress".   It'll just sit there for a few minutes before I can finally make the change.  Once I hit "OK", it waits again.  Does anyone have any ideas of why this would be and what needs to be done to fix it?  It's on the same computer and nothing else was changed.  Thanks

10 REPLIES 10

Re: Why is NX 12 slower than NX 10?

Phenom
Phenom

See Link below for a discussion.  Maybe have some more information here.  Looks like others are having some issues also.

https://www.eng-tips.com/viewthread.cfm?qid=434083

Siemens Esteemed Contributor Siemens Esteemed Contributor
Siemens Esteemed Contributor

I would be inclined to follow the advice in the forum that @sdeters linked to - i.e., open an IR with GTAC and be prepared to send part files that demonstrate the behavior you have observed.  They can then run benchmark tests in NX 12 alongside NX 10 to see if there are any notable differences.

Regards, Ben

Ben Broad | PLM Enthusiast | Siemens GCSS

NX (v17 - 1872) | Teamcenter (9 - 12)
Value Based Licensing | Adaptive UI | BETA Registration

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom
I have encountered a "similar case" where NX12 suddenly can become slow.
This is , i think, part specific. Something in the part / session crashes and after that all things go slow.
I am trying to identify when or what triggers this. This is happening in assemblies that has been around for a while.
- The files are confidential and therefore cannot be uploaded as is.

Restarting NX and re-open the part helps. NX12 then runs faster or equal to NX10. I think the graphics is faster.
NX 12 will however consume way more memory than what i have seen before, check RAM usage when things go slow!
We will in new computers opt for more than 24 GB.
Are your files NX12 or older ?

Regards,
Tomas

Legend
Legend

@1u7obd, Most of the major main assembly and sub-assemblies that I'm working with for this project were created just a few months ago while using NX 10.  Now we're at NX 12.  Last week, I noticed some slowing, but it seems considerably slower this week.  It's strange, on another computer that I use, I was able to run CREO with no problem.  NX 10 was noticeably slower on that same computer.  On this computer, NX 10 speeds were about the same, but now NX 12 is painfully slow.  As you recommended, I'll check  the RAM.  Thanks

Legend
Legend

Hello, I got a new Dell Precision 5820 with 32 GB.  While the computer is a lot faster for many things, the slowness with NX 12 work is still very evident.  For some of this, I'm just trying to replace components in an assembly or modify a sketch to edit a feature in a part.  Most of these procedures (very simple) were not slow in NX 10, but they are painfully slow in NX 12.  We're using NX 12.0.1.7.  With all the unstableness that I've seen with NX 12, is it possible that 12.0.1.7 is just a bad build?  For this slowness and unstableness, I'm not even making the comparison to other CAD softwares; I'm just comparing to NX 10.

Siemens Phenom
Try NX12.0.2 with MP4 to see if this is still true.
the MP4 has a fix for a bug which "delayed" our models.

Regards,
Tomas

Solution Partner Legend Solution Partner Legend
Solution Partner Legend

@1u7obd wrote:

Try NX12.0.2 with MP4 to see if this is still true.
the MP4 has a fix for a bug which "delayed" our models.

Regards,
Tomas

That is quite interesting. Can you further explain the issue and name the IR #?

Siemens Phenom
The issue is / was that if "the drawing" was open at the same time as one edited the model shown on "that drawing", and the edit included preview "of the new shape", things became slow.
On large models the session became slower and slower.
i reported two IRs on this 8390916 and 9274058, it turned out that it wasn't specific to routing splines with stock but any feature with preview.

Regards,
Tomas

Solution Partner Legend Solution Partner Legend
Solution Partner Legend

@1u7obd wrote:

The issue is / was that if "the drawing" was open at the same time as one edited the model shown on "that drawing", and the edit included preview "of the new shape", things became slow.
On large models the session became slower and slower.
i reported two IRs on this 8390916 and 9274058, it turned out that it wasn't specific to routing splines with stock but any feature with preview.

Regards,
Tomas

Thanks for the detailed info!