Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why no simple access to the assembly mass value?

Solution Partner Genius Solution Partner Genius
Solution Partner Genius

Much has been said about one of the most famous dead-ends of NX - inablilty to directly acess the assembly mass. I am really curious about the reason behind this controversial feature... or lack of. If Siemens has been refusing for years to provide assembly mass attribute there must be a solid reason. Is it an architectural limitaion or what? It really has a lot of demand across the whole NX user base, and workarounds are - let's put it blunt - lame. To be honest, I haven't yet checked if anything has changed in NX11... But I somehow doubt that. Any comments?

11 REPLIES

Re: Why no simple access to the assembly mass value?

Phenom
Phenom

One reason might be that UG-NX is the only multibody CAD on the market.

Often the modeling techique involves the use of many support solid bodies, so it is not easy to define the weight of a component.

There are tools in the advanced assembly that can help you.

Solution Partner Genius

If we use advanced assembly tools, we can see the assembly mass value in the Assembly Navigator. But only see - there is no attribute which contains it. We can only access part mass via attribute, not the assembly mass. Assembly mass has to be calculated using journals or NX Open.

Builder
Builder

a very straight forward implemementation would be:

part-mass = mass of all bodies in the default reference set of a part (MODEL , per default if I'm right)

assembly mass = partcount x part-mass

Phenom
Phenom

@Cesare

@Cesare wrote:

One reason might be that UG-NX is the only multibody CAD on the market.

Are you sure about this statement?

Michael Fernando

Die Designer
NX 11.0.2.7 + PDW

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

I find it a bit annoying because I have set a cell in my title block to show part mass but when the file is an assembly it doesnt show mass or even worse, if some body is in the file (promoted body...), it shows the mass of the body but not the mass of the components which is misleading. I hope NX developers will include real assembly mass in the mass attribute in future.

Solution Partner Genius

The most straightforward implemenation would be an attribute wth the value equal to the Asembly Navigator's Weight column top level. It is already there (with the Advanced Assemblies license), why can't we just have it in the attribute?

Phenom
Phenom

@mike_fdo

Also Catia as a similar way of working, SW is not a real multibody IMO.

The difference with other multibody CAD is that NX also has a single extension for the files.

You can have an assembly file that in addition to containing component contains 'heavy' geometry.

Phenom
Phenom

Hi @Cesare,

SolidWorks is a real multibody CAD.

Don't have mass in the assembly as attribute for NX is not a problem for developer, but for priority for developer.

Thank you...

Using NX 11 / RuleDesigner PDM

Phenom
Phenom

@Cesare:

I don’t want to hijack this thread.

Just FYI Google “weldments” to see one of many kinds of multibody part application/functionality and to see how extensive it is.

Michael Fernando

Die Designer
NX 11.0.2.7 + PDW