Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Your Opinion

Creator
Creator

I have worked in design for many years but am now a HS teacher in CAD.  There are some questions that only working professionals, not academics, can answer.  In my experience with mechanical design, using 2D is extremely minimal.  Limited to simple applications such as wiring or control diagrams.  My previous employers also did not even if you knew 2D, it was the PLM and 3D application(s) that mattered.  In my own opinion, I do not think that I need to teach 2D.  I would rather keep students' focus on Solid Edge / NX.

Can you tell me your opinion on it?   

9 REPLIES

Re: Your Opinion

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom

My opinion, the best 3D cad designers, are the ones that can draw 2D, since they can better see it in their minds, rather than just relying on the screen.  Granted 2D is not going to be used much in the workplace, but it is a good foundation.

-Dave
NX 11 | Teamcenter 11 | Windows 10

Creator
Creator

Thank you for your input.  Knowing drafting is certainly important and this is a foundation class.  I am on the fence on if I it is more beneficial to teach 2D drafting using the functions of Solid Edge/NX and not even teach Autocad.

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

While 2D Drawings will be with us for some time yet, I think it's important to make sure your students realize that a 2D Drawing is simply a scheme by which people can communicate the characteristics of a 3D model,  therefore, it would be better to teach 2D Drawing as an 'output' from the 3D model rather than as an end in itself.  Besides, the world that your students live in has been 3D since they were born and to some extent, you have to unlearn, or even worse, pretend that the 3D world does not exist if you start with 2D and then later introduced the concepts of 3D modeling.

For those of us who received our engineering education back when the 2D Drawing was the only means to define and communicate a design, we had no choice, not just because that was the only tool we had but because the rest of the world was only able to interact with that sort of 'output', period.  But things have evolved and while it's true that 2D Drawings are still part of some manufacturing workflows, it's changing as direct access to the 3D model is becoming easier and less expensive for even the non-engineer.

So my advice, start with 3D and emphasis how these models are the foundation of all of the downstream  engineering and manufacturing deliverables noting that the 'output' of a 2D Drawing is simply one of these deliverables when and if it's needed, but ONLY if it's needed.  The 3D model is the 'master', not the 2D Drawing, unlike it was in the past.  At least that's my opinion.

John R. Baker, P.E. (ret)
EX-Product 'Evangelist'
Irvine, CA

Siemens Genius Siemens Genius
Siemens Genius

@asmith1

There have been many comments made regading 2D as down-stream workflow after 3d models have been created.  However, there might be one specific 2D before 3D workflow...NX Layout that should be considered.

In NX Layout (which I wish I had that application when I was working in Aerospace as system, mechanical engineer), during project / program proposal phase, NX Layout is perfect for it, everything is done in 2D and very quick to create a overall project for responding to proposal, and, when it's accepted, the layout can be "reuse".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-YDXTFEyGY&list=PL1m1vu8_quoDWpA9-_MFw1xpCQMjwICp5&index=21

Project Engineers can create basic system layout using company specific library of sub-components or systems and drag and drop into NX Layout.  In NX 11, creating sub-components or sub-systems is even easier, please see the following demo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1b7qoHHnDkQ&index=5&list=PL1m1vu8_quoDWpA9-_MFw1xpCQMjwICp5

I agree with most comments that have been made; MBD, MBE, and 2D drawing might be "old school", and like John Baker said "...3D model is the master..", regardless, there always will be engineers looking for 2D drawings, that is why teaching/knowing how 2D drawing works (in 1st angle or 3rd angle projection) is still needed in engineers' basic knowledge.

Sam

Sam Kuan

Creator
Creator

Thanks for input Sam.  We always had 2D drawings and they were always generated in the 3D application. 

Siemens Phenom

Sam,

Thank you for agreeing with my post, well at least part of it Smiley Wink, but the question I have is, "WHERE DID MY POST GO?"  It appears to have been removed, but by whom?

EX-Product 'Evangelist'
Irvine, CA

Siemens Genius Siemens Genius
Siemens Genius

John,

It's good to hear from you, just do a refresh and you will see your post listed.

It was caught in the spam filter, but it is back now, we are looking into system setup and try to figure it out why the filter caught your post, sorry.

-Sam

Sam Kuan

Siemens Phenom

I've never noticed that behavior before.  Weird Smiley Frustrated

EX-Product 'Evangelist'
Irvine, CA

Creator
Creator

Thank you everyone for your feedback.  My opinion from the beginning of the discussion was to not teach AutoCad and focus the 2D drafting using the 2D capabilities in NX/Solid Edge.  I believe that is the route I will take for mechanical students.  This will give the students double the # of hours spent on the 3D application which in my career experience as a designer is much more valuable.