Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

add component as component is Non-Geometric

Solution Partner Phenom Solution Partner Phenom
Solution Partner Phenom

Hello all,

When you use the reuse library, are you then able to add components as Non-geometric as default.

This so you don't have to change this manually every time.

Example when you add glue or something else that don't have geometry butt must be on the part list.

Ruud van den Brand
Pre-sales NX CAD
cards PLM Solutions
8 REPLIES

Re: add component as component is Non-Geometric

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

When part is added to the assembly and under properties once option 'Component is Non-Geometric' is toggled on then attribute 'UG GEOMETRY' with value 'NO' gets added to attribute group 'DB Component Instance'. Now this can be handled only when part becomes component in context of the assembly. As there is no such setting in the preferences or in the customer defaults. Moreover when a component is made as non-geometric component, it will be with respect to that particular assembly. When added to the other assembly it will be geometric component by default.

Solution Partner Phenom

@GaneshKadole thanks for the response.

Does NX remembers the last way of placing a part with the Non-geometric?

you where pointing to " moreover when a component is made as non-geometric component"

How do ik create this kind of part?

Ruud van den Brand
Pre-sales NX CAD
cards PLM Solutions

Siemens Phenom

Does NX remembers the last way of placing a part with the Non-geometric?

No.

you where pointing to " moreover when a component is made as non-geometric component"

How do ik create this kind of part?

I mean to say, upon toggling on the option 'Component is Non-Geometric' under properties of the component.

Solution Partner Phenom

This can't be set default on? so when the component is added it automatically becomes a non-geometric part.

Ruud van den Brand
Pre-sales NX CAD
cards PLM Solutions

Siemens Phenom

I think "NO". One thing, are you asking this for the native NX or Managed NX?

Take a look at the following link from the solution center which is reported as PR. It seems that adding component by default as non-geometric component is not a standard practise.

added component is invisible (non-geometric)

You may look for the teamcenter preference "TC_NX_Unit_Of_Measure_As_Geometric_List" if your question is regarding managed NX.

Solution Partner Phenom
@GaneshKadole

I have to check if I'm allowed to test this in Teamcenter.

Ruud van den Brand
Pre-sales NX CAD
cards PLM Solutions

Siemens Phenom

Hi @ruud_vandenbrand,

"Component is non-geometric" is a component property (object attribute) that is applied at the assembly level, and in native NX it cannot be set at the part level (i.e., defined as a part attribute).  I found a couple of existing ER's requesting functionality similar to what you're looking for, except they request an on-the-fly approach:

ER 1706228: Ability to set non-geometric while adding a component in NX.

ER 5882407: Specify non-geometric on create new component dialog.

Please consider contacting your local GTAC office if you want to submit a new, more specific, ER.

I believe the only way to accomplish this currently is using managed NX, and explicitly setting the Unit of Measure (UOM) for an item to a value that is not listed in the list of NX 'geometric' UOM's controlled by the Teamcenter preference 'TC_NX_Unit_Of_Measure_As_Geometric_List'.  This is not set by default, therefore any non-default UOM applied to an item, such as A/R, is considered non-geometric (new UOM's have to be defined in BMIDE).

@GaneshKadole, the PR you reference explained that the item in TC had its UOM set to 'MM'.  As this UOM is not an OOTB UOM (such as each), and had not been defined in the TC preference 'TC_NX_Unit_Of_Measure_As_Geometric_List', it was always considered non-geometric.

Regards, Ben

Siemens Phenom

Yes @BenBroad I had looked for that after my response. Thank you for the information! Smiley Happy