Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

associative feature copy

Creator
Creator

Hello citizens,

In IDEAS you could use FEATURE COPY to associatively copy features within a part.  This was useful when patterning or mirroring wouldn't work.  Pro-E has PASTE SPECIAL which if I remember right, does the same thing.  NX has PASTE SPECIAL but it's non-associative.

In NX how can you associatively copy a feature like a boss or pocket and place it somewhere else on the part?  I tried different things and did some research, but I don't see any easy way to do it?

How is everyone out there handling that?

Thanks in advance,

Alex

6 REPLIES

Re: associative feature copy

Siemens Creator Siemens Creator
Siemens Creator

Hi AlexHouston,

You can create "User defined feature". With help of it, you can insert boss/pocket/custom feature associatively into other part

Tools > User Defined Feature.

Thanks,

Amol

Phenom
Phenom

Look into the NX Reuse library! Plenty of functionality packed into that tool.

Phenom
Phenom
Oh, and there is a simple copy/paste too. Ctrl+c and ctrl+v. Or you have patterning.

Creator
Creator

What I ended up doing is using an associative extraced feature command and then moving the extracted body (using point to point) to a new location point.  The body is still associative to the to original, so that is what I'm trying to do, but it is there a cleaner method?

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom

Have you tried looking into pattern geometry, or (Feature)?  Set the layout option to general, Then you can copy the geometry from point to point or from a Coordinate system to Coordiante system. 

Creator
Creator

That is exactly what I was looking for!  I was able to slap features anywhere I had place points and add features on the back side of the part by adding a CSYS in first!!!

I never knew that general tab was there.  I only did linear or circular patterns.

Thank you kind sir!