Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

button for cutomized model view?

Genius
Genius
Is it possible to create a button, e.g. on the top border bar, for a customized model view? Thanks!
12 REPLIES 12

Re: button for cutomized model view?

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Hi surfactant,

I normally use the Radial Pop ups for this (sorry never used buttons) during demonstration captures in full screen view.

Here i added REPLACE VIEW in one of my radial pop ups.Comes in quite handy when you have lot of custom views..

rep_view.jpgBest Regards

Kapil

Genius
Genius

Hi @kapilsharma   Thanks for your quick reply! Radial popup seems to require 3~4 clicks. If a button, like that for Trimeric/Top/Bottom/..., can be added to the toolbar, one click would be ok. Maybe currently it's impossible.

In many softwares, a macro can be created first and then assigned to a new button. I'm not sure whether it can be done in NX.

Siemens Phenom

Man Happy sorry cannot be of much help .

Btw radial pop up should take only 2 clicks i guess (once it is set-up )

(view in My Videos)

Siemens Phenom

@surfactant

Assuming that the custom view already exists in your part, then:

Create a journal file. In the journal file, the only action yoyu need is to double-click on the name of the custom view in the part navigator. After you save the journal, you can customize your UI and add a 'New Item' - 'New User Command' then edit the button action to run the journal.

(view in My Videos)

Regards,
Abe

Siemens Phenom

As far as Macros are concerned ....yes it can be done in NX easily too.

Genius
Genius

Hi @Abeinjapan  @kapilsharma   Thank you both for your help!

I just tried to create a jounal file and assign it to a button. But it seems that the reponse would take several seconds. I wonder whether this is typical response time for NX to run a journal.

I noticed Macros in the Menu. I don't know what's the difference between a Macro and a Journal. I tried to create one. To my supprise the button assigned with a macro responds instantly! But after the action is done, a message box pops up:

Image.png

Your help with fixing it would be appreciated.

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

If I understand correctly...

The first time a journal runs, it has to load the .NET libraries, so it takes a few seconds.

After that, it is much quicker.

Macros will be an issue if you have different numbers of views in different parts.

Also when you upgrade to the next NX version (sometimes even when applying MR or MP).

Unless you really want to get into macros, I would stick with VB/Journals

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP16/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steamed than e-diseaseled

Highlighted

Genius
Genius

Hi @Ken_A   Thanks!

The first time a journal runs, it has to load the .NET libraries, so it takes a few seconds.

After that, it is much quicker.

Not only first time. Every time it takes a few seconds!

Macros will be an issue if you have different numbers of views in different parts.

Also when you upgrade to the next NX version (sometimes even when applying MR or MP).

Unless you really want to get into macros, I would stick with VB/Journals 

Let me try to read the documentation carefully to understand macro and journal in NX.

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

"Not only first time. Every time it takes a few seconds!"

A journal is saved as a plain text file. NX needs to compile this before it can run; for a journal, this happens every time the journal is run. When the journal does a large number of operations, the compile time is usually insignificant compared to the run & model update time. However, if you want snappy performance for a simple task, the compile delay can be annoying.

As an alternative to the journal, I'd suggest orienting the view the way you like and saving it. You can quickly change back to your saved view and orientation by double clicking it in the "model views" shown in the part naviator.

https://docs.plm.automation.siemens.com/tdoc/nx/11.0.2/nx_help/#uid:xid1128416:index_xid820118:view_...