Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

can i change NX installation path without reinstall

Pioneer
Pioneer

HI

If many users have installed NX11 in default OOTB path (c:\programfiles\Simemens\NX11.. etc), can cut and paste the NX install to another location c:\SPLM\NX11, 

Is thsi good idea, if so what all things i need to change

Thanks

9 REPLIES

Re: can i change NX installation path without reinstall

Siemens Honored Contributor Siemens Honored Contributor
Siemens Honored Contributor

Hi @nesthome,

can cut and paste the NX install to another location c:\SPLM\NX11, 

Is thsi good idea, if so what all things i need to change

This is not advisable as environment variables and registry entries don't update.  You should uninstall NX and then reinstall in the new location.

The quickest method to uninstall NX is to initially delete the original install folder and then use the Windows uninstall a program command to uninstall NX.

Regards, Ben

Solution Partner Genius Solution Partner Genius
Solution Partner Genius

I don't agree totally to Ben ( first time ever :-) ) but maybe he will show me I'm wrong with my opinion

I would recommend you to create a start center or start script with the main variables and replace them with the new store location.

Yes, of course, there are registry entries, I normally install one version and patch it on a network folder and copy it with robocopy.

HI @Cableguy,

Maybe I misunderstood the original question Smiley Happy

My interpretation was that NX had been installed in the wrong location on several workstations and they wanted to know if the install directory could be cut and paste in a new location on the same drive.

I can see how the question could also be read as copying one install to a different install path on another workstation, in which case your response would be valid.

Hopefully @nesthome will let us know a little more information regarding his question so that we know.

Regards, Ben

Pioneer
Pioneer

@BenBroad

your  undertanding is right, i have copule of users install NX in c:\programfiles, for Teamcenter 4T i need the nX to be at diff path, so was looking for a quick fix Smiley Happy, seems like not a best practise.

will go ahead and follow your tips on uninstall (since uninstall itslef take 20-30min)

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

I suspect that you are installing a TC "image" that expects NX to be installed in a particular location?

I'm currently running TC 10 (4 tier) with NX 9; NX 9 is installed in the default "program files" location. There have been no issues with this configuration. TC just needs to know where NX is installed, you can run the TEM to change this setting on individual computers. It will probably be less work to run TEM and make the TC config change than reinstalling NX on multiple computers.

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Actually, in TC environment, you can just have start_nxmanager.bat look in the different possible locations (or use the NXCustom method to query the registry) & set UGII_BASE_DIR (and if appropriate for your version, UGII_ROOT_DIR) appropriately

See NXCustom here: https://community.plm.automation.siemens.com/t5/NX-Programming-Customization-Forum/NXcustom-Utilitie...

But I would *recommend* taking the time to make things (e.g. install folders) consistent.  It may be a bit of a pain now, but it saves a LOT of pain later, when something doesn't work because the folder is different.

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP16/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steamed than e-diseaseled

Solution Partner Genius
Hi Ben,

yes both options can be possible. :-)

But i guess the way is now clear and you been right.

Question: is there any reference which reg keys NX12 is writing?

is there any reference which reg keys NX12 is writing?

Not that I'm aware of.

Solution Partner Genius

then lets go SIEMENS do one :-)