cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

can not unfold the hem feature

Experimenter
Experimenter

Please kindly help,i am going crazy about attached document,it is a solid body when i try to conver to sheet metal,it reminds me non-consistent material thickness,after review i found it was the Radius of the hem feature,i try to delete the surface,but will not work,how should i solve the problem,thank you very much.

20171111134036.pngI also have attached the original document for ref.

3 REPLIES

Re: can not unfold the hem feature

Siemens Genius Siemens Genius
Siemens Genius

@davidkwock,

After looking at your model, my guess is that in the originating system, it is possible to create exactly 0 radius bends and NX sheetmetal does not support that. If you were to create the shape from scratch in NX you would see that there is a very tiny gap of 0.000157in between the hem flange face and the rest of the part. Also, the outer radius of the bend would be 0.048079in instead of 0.048in.

In your part the current gap is exactly 0.00in and the system is unable to create the necessary gap between the faces.

So as far as I can tell, I don't think there is a simple solution to your problem. You'll need to delete the original faces of the hem (using a combination of replace face and delete face commands) and recreate the flanges in NX.

Regards,

Abe

Siemens Experimenter Siemens Experimenter
Siemens Experimenter

Hi @davidkwock 

The hem has fused with the base face so Convert to Sheet Metal is failing. If the hem region is moved angularly say by  90 degrees to disjoin from base face, convert can be applied successfully. After applying Convert Resize Bend Angle with a value say 0.001 degree can be used (0 degree value will not work as it will fuse the faces again resulting in invalid sheet metal part).

I have attached the part file.

Regards,

Siemens Legend Siemens Legend
Siemens Legend

@davidkwock Please also note the central portion cannot be flattened (as shown in the file provided by @Amol_Badgujar - it has plastic deformation not supported by the sheet metal application.

Dave