Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

constant red stars

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

As I work on my model, I am constantly getting red lines and stars showing.  Not an error within a feature, but outside of editing a feature.

So for example, I can be choosing surfaces to trim a solid.  I complete the feature, and the solid is trimmed.  I'm now outside of editing the feature but my model will have red lines with red stars everywhere.  Once I 'fit to screen' these disapear.  Anyone know the fix for this? 

I'd say in an 8 hour day, I have to 'fit to screen' approximately 50 times because of this

8 REPLIES

Re: constant red stars

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Try hitting F5 for a refresh, that should clear out those items from the display. If that works you can add the command to your pop-up menus to get to it quickly. It sounds like some kind of a grahics issue is what you are having, but F5 should do the trick.

Scott

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

this still doesn't keep me from doing this task 50+ times per day that shouldn't be happening.  When others have my part open on their computer it happens to them also, when it doesn't inside their parts.  So it's something with my part, and not my computer

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Can you post an image of them?

If design is proprietary, just capture a portion of the image (enough to see the red lines/stars, note enough to figure out what you are modeling).

If you examine geometry with all checks, are similar lines/stars showing up there?

Is there a way to constantly check geometry as you are modeling?

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP16/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steamed than e-diseaseled

Siemens Phenom

As you may be able to tell from the responses, this is not normal behavior, and we don't see it a lot. :-)

But here's a thought.  based on the symptoms you've described, if I were guessing, I'd say it sounds like you have a duplicate red body in your part file.

• Exactly coincident bodies can show a "stars" kind of pattern as the graphics engine waffles between which body color to display for each given pixel. 
  • The extra body would explain the persistent symptoms on both your computer and others. 
  • That body being red would explain why you see red "stars" while outside any command.

If you can post the part here, we can examine it and tell you more.

If you're concerned about security, then please contact GTAC and take advantage of their high security ability to review the part.  Keep in mind -- access to their expertise is part of why you're paying maintenance.  :-)

But either way, based on what you've described, this is an odd problem that is best diagnosed WITH the offending part file.

Hope that helps.  

Taylor Anderson
NX Product Manager, Knowledge Reuse and NX Design
Tel: +1 (602) 441-0683
taylor.anderson@siemens.com

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Taylor, I’m not sure what a red body is, but I do have a duplicate body in my part. My part is so large and doesn’t all come together at the very end, that I have a non associative extract of the body placed at the beginning of the tree, however this duplicate body is hidden all of the time and not visible. But interesting to learn that this still may cause the problem. I can get rid of the extracted body and see if it helps!

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Oh, and I cannot post any pictures or even give the part file Smiley Sad

Legend
Legend

If you grab a tiny portion of the attached, there's no way for anyone to figure out what it is you are making. But it does give other some clue about the problem

When you say red stars and lines, I think boundary results from Examine geometry.examine.PNG

Rob Newcomb, CAD/CNC/Simulation manager
Elmhirst Industries, Specializing in Prototype sheet metal stampings and assemblies

Production: NX 11.0.2.7 / Autoform r7 /WorkNC 2018 r2
Testing:NX12.0.1.
PC: Rave Cadbeast: Intel(R) i7-4790K CPU @ 4.GHz /32gb ram /NVIDIA Quadro P2000 on Win10 Pro

Siemens Phenom

If you open the Part Navigator, does your part have anything saved in the Analysis folder?

Screenshot - 6_4_2018 , 9_36_33 AM.png

Regards, Ben