Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

copy & paste an object

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Copy and paste seem to be a little tricky in NX.

When I try to copy paste a feature, it works fine and gives a single copy of the feature.

When I try to copy & paste a simple object, NX does not give a copy of the simple object as expected, but gives copies of the original feature and its parents, as shown in pictures below.

Do I miss something about the commands?

Thanks!

Image.pngcopy a spline objectImage.pngpaste, resulting more than the simple object
5 REPLIES

Re: copy & paste an object

Phenom
Phenom

@surfactant,

For curve features, try using Copy to Layer instead.  If that doesn't suit you, Composite Curve then remove the parameters.

There are probably other ways around getting rid of the parent/child stuff but those come to mind first to me.

-Tim

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi @TimF   Thanks for sharing!

Solution Partner Valued Contributor Solution Partner Valued Contributor
Solution Partner Valued Contributor

The Move Object command (icon in Utilities group of Tools tab in Ribbon Bar) also includes copy capability. Note that objects being copied are always non-associative. But for duplicating curves such as the spline in your example, this approach is fine. Copy as many as you want and there is a very robust selection of move methods available.

image.png

Solution Partner Valued Contributor Solution Partner Valued Contributor
Solution Partner Valued Contributor

BTW, a couple years ago, I published an article on our Swoosh blog page that is a thorough study of all the different ways you can duplicate geometry in NX. Entitle "Ground Hog Day All Over Again", it is a 2-part series that first compares and contrasts the different commands in NX that "copy" and the second part provides tangible, statistical evidence of the use and effectiveness of all of the methods in a practical example. Here is the link but you will need to sign up to our Swoosh Customer Portal (free) to access it.

https://swooshtech.com/groundhog-day-all-over-again/

Enjoy!

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi @kochg   Thanks for sharing the excellent article!