Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

design theory

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

how to find that a perticular component is sheet metal or solid modeling in both virtually and physically...

please help me

thanks in advance

4 REPLIES

Re: design theory

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Hi,

Can you please elaborate a little more on your question? I am assuming you are asking if a model can be thought of as a sheet metal component (which can be created using NX Sheet Metal) or you need to use solid modeling for the same.

If you want to analyze a dumb solid body..then check for the thickness (sheet metal components will have majorly a uniform thickness throughout). If you have a large variation in thickness..go for solid modeling tools. (although plastic components may have uniform thickness but you can easily figure it out by the design features like Boss/snap fits/etc.)

sh_1.jpg.Best Regards

Kapil

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

fine ..thanks for your answer......but i am asking that by physical seeing the component how to kown that it is sheet metal design or solid modeling...

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Goli,

Are you asking how do you know if a body is a sheet body or a solid body in the model? The quickest way to do that is to change your selection intent in the drop down menu to "Sheet Body" then move your cursor over the geomentry. If the geometry highlights then you are dealing with sheet bodies. You can also do the opposite, change the selection intent in the drop down menu to "Solid Body" then move your cursor over your geometry. If the geometry highlights then you are dealing with solid bodies.

Michael Pinto | Designer
NX11|Windows 10 Enterprise 64bit|HP Z-Book Studio G3 Workstation|Intel XEON E3-1505M|32GB Ram|Nvidia Quadro M1000m w/4GB

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

yes. I got the answer.

thanks for your support