Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

disable convergent modeling?

Legend
Legend

I moved to NX12 a week or so ago.

I started a new project, File open Catpart. Then proceed to make a prototype tool.

For this, I use mostly surfaces and somehow I've ended up with convergant facet bodies,   The blue surface is just an extrude, but somehow its a facet body. When I use the selection filter, everything is just sheets and faces no facets

Any suggestions?

facet.PNG

Rob Newcomb, CAD/CNC/Simulation manager
Elmhirst Industries, Specializing in Prototype sheet metal stampings and assemblies

Production: NX 12.0.1 / Autoform r7 /WorkNC 2018 r2
Testing:nothing.
PC: Rave Cadbeast: Intel(R) i7-4790K CPU @ 4.GHz /32gb ram /NVIDIA Quadro P2000 on Win10 Pro
4 REPLIES

Re: disable convergent modeling?

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi  @R_Newcomb,

When you use any modeling command with Convergent bodies, output is Convergent body.

To resolve issue, invoke "Facet Body from Body" command -> Set output to "Convergent" -> Select NX curvy body -> OK. You'll get Convergent body. Now  both tool and target will be of same kind. So there should not be error.

Legend
Legend
I didn't mean to create a convergent body, I don't have a need for it so I was hoping there was a way to disable the function in defaults.

I cannot even figure out How I made a convergent body from extruding curves in the 1st place, it's not an option

Luckily this was a small easy job, so I was able to recreate it correctly easy enough. I don't want to run into it on a job that I have multiple hours into
Elmhirst Industries, Specializing in Prototype sheet metal stampings and assemblies

PC: Rave Cadbeast: Intel(R) i7-4790K CPU @ 4.GHz /32gb ram /NVIDIA Quadro P2000 on Win10 Pro

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Rob -

Did you see this thread?

https://community.plm.automation.siemens.com/t5/NX-Design-Forum/extrude-from-face-edge-fail/m-p/4921...

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP16/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steamed than e-diseaseled

Legend
Legend

Thank you for directing me to that

This seems like a very dangerous new "feature" as convergent bodies do not export via iges or step

Is there a way to search a model for convergent bodies?

I don't see a way to shut it off in customer defaults either.

Time for an IR.