Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

dissolve associativeness with a parent or a child

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
I know that Remove Parameters can convert a feature to a non-timestamp geometry.

I wonder whether it is possible to dissolve a feature's associativeness with a specific parent or a specific child.

Thanks!

ScreenClip [10].png
17 REPLIES

Re: dissolve associativeness with a parent or a child

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

One scenario in my project is like this:

I have two points imported outside. And my goal is: to create an arc feature which lies exactly between but is not associated to the two points.

At first I created the arc as non-timestamp and planned to convert it later to an arc feature, since I knew that non-timestamp spline can be converted to a spline feature.

But now I find that a non-timestamp arc CAN'T be converted to an arc feature. Then I'm simply lost.

Hope to have your suggestion. Thanks!

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Would be useful to understand more about the task and workflow you are trying to achieve, seams a little odd to not want to work associativity.

If I understand correctly, what I would recommend is having a separate file to control your external (imported) inputs.

Have your input points in one file. Then WAVE link them into your design file where you create associated features to them. You can either break the WAVE links or better still freeze them so they do not update when the points move.

This also provides you with a method of updating your downstream geometry when you recieve a new set of external input geometry.

Steve V

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi @StevenVickers,

... updating your downstream geometry when you recieve a new set of external input geometry. 

This is exactly what I want to do. The downstream geometry (product model) may often need to be updated with reference to a new set of input geometry (some points and some lines).

Since the old input geometry may be replaced with a new version for many times, to associate my model with it would lead to endless trouble. That's why I want to dissolve the associativeness each time after the updating work.

Currently I don't have knowledge about WAVE link. Maybe I would not try to keep those external inputs in an outside file, which means great trouble in managing several files for a single model. But if that's the only choice, I would start to learn something about WAVE link.

Thanks a lot!

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Take a look at Don’t design parts with CAD

Steve V

Gears Honored Contributor Gears Honored Contributor
Gears Honored Contributor

"At first I created the arc as non-timestamp and planned to convert it later to an arc feature, since I knew that non-timestamp spline can be converted to a spline feature.

But now I find that a non-timestamp arc CAN'T be converted to an arc feature. Then I'm simply lost."

The "non-timestamped" geometry (in your case, the non-associative arc) is perfectly usable geometry. I don't understand your desire to have everything show up as a feature in the part navigator.

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi @cowski1

The "non-timestamped" geometry (in your case, the non-associative arc) is perfectly usable geometry. I don't understand your desire to have everything show up as a feature in the part navigator.

In the past I also thought non-timestamp geometry is usable and good enough. But I turned away from it after running into some troubles with non-timestamp spline, e.g. incapability of constraining to a specified plane, confusion caused by distribution of model elements in two separate nodes in the part navigator (Model History for feature and Groups for non-feature).

Thanks!

Gears Honored Contributor Gears Honored Contributor
Gears Honored Contributor

"incapability of constraining to a specified plane"

For the spline, expand the "drawing plane" and "movement" sections of the dialog and make sure both of these reference your desired plane.

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi @cowski1

To my knowledge, for a non-associative spline, the "drawing plane" and "movement" plane can't be remembered and need to be specified each time of editing. It seems to be very annoying.

Thanks!

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi @StevenVickers

Take a look at Don’t design parts with CAD

Very insightful blog about top-down design methodology!