Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: dissolve associativeness with a parent or a child

Genius
Genius

Please let me simplify my issue:

My goal: To draw a line (feature) between two points, but without making the line associated to the two points.

• In Sketch Task Environment, it can be done simply by unchecking "Coincident" in "Inferred Constraints and Dimensions" or deleting the Coincident constraint.
  • Outside sketch environment, in Modeling, is there any workround to do the job?

Thanks!

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

It sounds like you want a line feature that isn't associative to other geometry. If so, here is one way to do it:

• start the line command (make sure the associative option is turned on)
  • pick other objects for the end points
  • OK the line dialog
  • edit the line feature, for the start option change it to point, and enter the select point dialog, change the type to "cursor location" and ok the dialog
  • repeat for the end point

This will result in a line feature where the end points are associated to locations in space (open the expression editor to see/edit the point expressions).

Genius
Genius

Hi @cowski1

It works! It clears a big trouble for me. Thank you!

Genius
Genius

I have another question, maybe not the same problem but related, I think.

If I create a extrusion from a skecth that is created based on previous geometry and with lines constrained to previous geometry. Is there a way to broke all links quickly? I want now that the extrusion is bases on a fixed plane...

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Depends on your definition of "quickly". I don't think there is a 2-click solution, if that is what you mean.

Siemens Esteemed Contributor Siemens Esteemed Contributor
Siemens Esteemed Contributor
Are you referring to break links in the sketch?

Not sure if this helps but you can use the Sketch Relations Browser to list Constraints by "External Reference" and then multiselect them, right click and choose Delete.

Select "Menu > Tools > Sketch Constraints > Sketch Relations Browser" (or 'Relations Browser' from the Direct Sketch 'More' ribbon group). Select the "Constraints" radio button and then the column heading titled "External Reference" to organize the constraints.

Hope that helps,
Regards, Ben

Ben Broad | PLM Enthusiast | Siemens GCSS

NX (v17 - 1872) | Teamcenter (9 - 12)
Value Based Licensing | Adaptive UI | BETA Registration

Genius
Genius

I use that method now, but it is a bit slow and still need to reattach sketch. I was wondering if there is a quickest way to make the whole feature independent of its parents. I dont need to do that very frequently so it is not a big problem anyway.

Siemens Esteemed Contributor Siemens Esteemed Contributor
Siemens Esteemed Contributor
Unless there are downstream features, what about using copy/paste feature?
You get to choose the new datum and just choose "Unresolve" for the Sketch External References.

Ben Broad | PLM Enthusiast | Siemens GCSS

NX (v17 - 1872) | Teamcenter (9 - 12)
Value Based Licensing | Adaptive UI | BETA Registration