Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

divide curve

Creator
Creator

I'm interested in dividing a very long curve in non-equal segments.  Here's an example:

x"                   y"                   x"                   y"                  x"                   y"

<--------------------><--------><--------------------><--------><--------------------><-------->

I need to be able to divide the curve as indicated above, but instead of just three times, a couple thousand times.  I have a non-linear, single-segment curve that lies in a plane.

Thanks for the help!

5 REPLIES

Re: divide curve

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

I suggest using a method besides 'divide curve'.

Refer to the attached movie file (compressed in 7zip format).

I created two lines, one for X", one for Y".

Then, I measured the total length.

Next, I used Move Object with the 'Copy Original' option.

I selected the direction of the lines for the vector, and entered the length measurement.

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom
I used NX11 for the demo movie.

Siemens Honored Contributor Siemens Honored Contributor
Siemens Honored Contributor

I'll have a stab at this.  Is it really NX6?

Rather than divide the curve (which I don't think you're going to be able to do easily, though @cowski1 could probably write a script to do this in 5 mins) I approached this a different way.  Since you know the length of the non-linear curve, and it lies on a plane, build a new curve whose length is "n" instances of (x+y).  I'll let you do the math.

Create two curves "x" and "y".  Using Instance Geometry to associatively (or not) create sufficient instances of those two curves such that your new curve is the same length as your original curve.

Extrude the original curve normal to its plane.

Project the new curves to the extruded surface using Direction: "Along Vector" and Projection Option: "Equal Arc Length".  I added gaps between each curve and instance so you can see the result and the attached part was created in NX6.

If anything, I've shown a way to project curves that might help someone in the future Smiley Wink

divide_non_linear_curve.png

Regards, Ben

Creator
Creator

Thank you for the responses; I just wanted to inform the discussion that I've read through these, and I'll try them as soon as I can. Then, I can accept as a solution. And yup, this is NX6! Old school.

All right, it's the next day and I tried my own example (not my exact case), and was able to replicate these suggestions. However, sometimes, I get the error, no curve projected, and I'm not sure why. I felt like I drew the same examples several times, and this last time, it magically worked. Is there some kind of limit for number of entities projected onto the surface, or anything odd like that?

My errors have been because of what I chose for my XY Origin.  If I chose the endpoint (extent of my line and surface to project to), no curves projected, but if I chose the point just inside of that, it projected just fine.  Furthermore, I was able to use the Move Point to Point command, instead of the Instance Geometry, because the former retains line colors - this is important to me because I'd like to be able to easily select all my x" lines at once, and all my y" lines at once, so I can export them to separate *.igs files.  With regard to retaining colors, keeping associativity with the Project Curves does not retain original colors of curves, but keeping it unassociative retains original curve colors, so now my projected curves are easily distinguishable.

Thanks, everyone.

Siemens Honored Contributor Siemens Honored Contributor
Siemens Honored Contributor
Thanks for replying back and sharing your experiences and eventual solution.

Regards, Ben