Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

editing conic in sketch disrupts associativeness

Genius
Genius

I have a conic in the sketch "S1:Conic". When its Rho is changed from 0.5 to 0.4, an alerting message shows up. After exitting the Sketch Task Environment, a CSYS associated with it moves unexpectedly!

What should I do to keep the CSYS (green) where it was? Thanks!

• "S1:Conic" = blue curve: A Conic (Rho=0.5) in sketch S1.
  • "Scaled" = black curve: The conic is scaled up with simple factors.
  • "CSYS_1" = green CSYS: The orgin lies at the end point of the Black curve, axes following CSYS_absolute.

ScreenClip [6].pngFig.1 At the beginning, Rho of "S1:Conic" is 0.5.ScreenClip [7].pngFig.2 Changing "S1:Conic" Rho from 0.5 to 0.4.ScreenClip [8].pngFig.3 After quiting the sketch task environment, the green CSYS moved unexpectedly!

10 REPLIES

Re: editing conic in sketch disrupts associativeness

Genius
Genius

If the orgin of "CSYS_1" is set to the end of "S1:Conic" (blue cuve), "CSYS_1" would not move upon changing Rho of the conic.

It seems that, changing Rho of "S1:Conic" would not change the assiciative elements of the conic itself, but would surely lead to unexpected change of the "Scaled" curve (black) and disrupt all later dependence on the "Scaled" curve (black).

Genius
Genius

Sometimes conic/spline in sketch has many advantages over conic/spline in modeling. But editing conic/spline in sketch could disrupt contraints in sketch and associativeness in modeling.

Should use of conic/spline in sketch be avoided? Thanks for your suggestions!

Phenom
Phenom

Ciao @surfactant,

I never build splines or conics inside the sketch, I prefer to use the sketches for boundary condition such as tangency, end point and so on.

I prefer to control the features individually so I exactly know where they eventually fail.

When I teach NX courses, I give the example of a light of a car: if the bulb is blown I don't want to change the whole light :-)

You write "Sometimes conic/spline in sketch has many advantages over conic/spline in modeling" in which cases is this true in your opinion?

Ciao

Cesare

Genius
Genius

Hi, @Cesare

Thank you for sharing your practice!

As to conic/spline in sketch vs. in modeling, I really love the sketch environment -- dragging, dimensioning, constraining ... everything is so free and so good ...  Smiley Happy))

Genius
Genius

Hi, @Cesare

I follow your practice buiding splines outside sketch.

One issue is that, each time when I try to edit an existing spline, I need to take great care to re-specify "Drawing Plane" and "Movement" plane again. Sometimes "Drawing Plane" can be remembered, but the "Movement" plane can never be remembered.

Do you have any easy solution for this? Thanks!

ScreenClip [1].png

Phenom
Phenom

Ciao @surfactant,

I upload a movie in wich I show you:

1) make spline associative (so when you edit the spline, the Drawing Plane and the Movement plane remain)

2) set the Drawing Plane

3) set the Movement plane

4) set the Parameterization Degree (it is very important, try to change it up and down)

5) draw the spline

It help you to dinamically analyse the spline activating, for example, Show combs.

Ciao

Genius
Genius

Hi, @Cesare I see your video. Thanks a lot!

Genius
Genius

Hi @Cesare

Sorry for a further question.

In your video, your curvature comb has smooth top (red line). But in my curvature comb, the comb top line is made of connected lines. And "Update Display" has no effect on the comb.

I examined the "Curvature Analysis..." dialog and couldn't find any clues. Did I miss something? Or what you got is also connected lines when zoomed in?

Thanks!

ScreenClip [13].png

Yours

ScreenClip [2].png

My curvature comb (for a single spline --- surely a smooth spline)

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Try increasing the needle count and scale to get a better idea of what the analysis is showing you.

"surely a smooth spline"

Not all splines are smooth...