I have just filled out an enhancement request at GTAC to simplify the procedure of finding obsolete assembly references that have been left over by deleting or renaming a component.
Currently it takes hours or even days to cleanup an assembly that contains obsolete references. In the worst case one needs to recreate the entire assembly from scratch.
If you are also affected by this issue or you just find it useful, feel free to open a "me too" issue at GTAG, referencing the IR number.
ER#9130642 - add ability to find obsolete references
1. Short Description of desired enhancement: <Problem rather than a solution>
o It is very cumbersome to find and cleanup an assembly reference that is no longer valid
2. What activity in your process is the product not able to currently handle?
o when importing assemblies into Teamcenter or initializing projects for MoldWizard in a managed NX session, there are some parts marked as "name only", since these are no longer part of the assembly
3. What result are you trying to achieve? (Please provide as many details as possible.)
o we want to cleanup assemblies where removing a component from the structure left some references behind that are therefor no longer valid
4. Do you currently have a workaround?
o Sort of, spend days to find the references or rebuild the assembly from scratch
5. Do you have a proposal for the solution you envision Siemens PLM providing for this capability?
o add a interactive tool for the user to display any assembly references that have no target part in the assembly structure
o do not add this to part cleanup, since there no one knows what gets removed
o in addition it should be possible to keep references that are placeholders for parts that are not yet part of the assembly, but will be added during the design process
6. What is the level of productivity gained from such an enhancement?
o HIGH, keep the user from spending hours or even days to cleanup the assembly or even recreate it from scratch
7. Other information: