Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

extract cylinder from stl

Genius
Genius

What is the most rapid and precise method to create a cylinder or curved surface taking points from a stl file? I mean the stl file is a scanned part that contains holes and i would like to create cilinders or surfaces matching those holes by selecting the points of the facet "surface". I can do that by creating arcs and projet them to planes and then extrude but maybe is a quicker/better method.

6 REPLIES 6

Re: extract cylinder from stl

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Hi @Javiduc ,

Can you please upload an image?

Regards,
Samadhan

GTAC | NX Help: NX1102 | NX1202 | NX1847
Please mark post as an "Accepted Solution", if it answers your question/is more helpful!

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

@Javiduc 

Did you check using 'Rapid Surfacing' or 'Polygon Modeling' ?

Phenom
Phenom

Hi @Javiduc 

I believe fit surface is very fast if it meets your needs.

(view in My Videos)

Genius
Genius

Thanks. "Fit surface" is almost what I was looking for; it creates geometry shapes from the stl mesh but I cant control it by picking the points or zones myself, "fit surface" select the zones itself in fonction of the color based on curvature, the work can be done by tweaking radii threshold but not working well every time and I need to change parameters lots of times till it does then change it again to recognize a diferent area. I would like to pick the areas or points myself like it can be done in spaceclaim (min 1). 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8BDoYRm9yf0

I think NX has the power to do because it does with the color selection just need a different method of imput. Can I select a manual method of impuct for "Fit Surface" or other command?

Phenom
Phenom

Hi @Javiduc 

Although not exactly the same but we have something similar in NX

(view in My Videos)

Genius
Genius

Thank you very much @robot139. That is what I was looking for!