Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

fail to join faces

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Could you help look at what's wrong? Thanks!

Image.png

Image.png

Image.png

11 REPLIES

Re: fail to join faces

'Join Face' command can be to remove the edges that are not required. For example if you divide a face and later if it is not needed then this command can be used to join those divided faces.

Ganesh Kadole, QA Analyst (PLM), SQS
Testing: NX 11 | NX 12 | TCIN
TC 11.2 | TC Vis 11.3 | AWC 3.2

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

For this you want to use Optimize Face

Steve V

To use this command, faces should belong to same feature or body (non parametric). You have other option to use 'Optimize Face' command as suggested by @StevenVickers.

Ganesh Kadole, QA Analyst (PLM), SQS
Testing: NX 11 | NX 12 | TCIN
TC 11.2 | TC Vis 11.3 | AWC 3.2

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi @StevenVickers  @Ganesh_Kadole Thank you both for your replies!

I just find that Optimize Face would remove the parameters. Therefore Join Face seems to be a better choice.

With the two tubs shown below, the two halves of big one (right) can be joined successfully. But the small one fails.

Could you have a quick look at the attach prt file? Thanks!

Image.png

Image.png

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

If you use deviation checking, you can see that the edges on the small cylindrical faces have a very small angular misalignment. It is too small to bother the sew feature, but may be giving the join face problems. I tried hiding one half of the small cylinder (body 7) then mirrored the circular edge of body 6 and extruded a new sheet body - these worked with the sew and join commands.

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi @cowski1

The deviation is really very very small. It's a surprise for me that Join Face is so sensitive!

Join Face has a primitive dialog box and does not allow setting tolerance. I wonder whether there is a full functional version for the command that is far from trivial.

I can't understand why Optimize Curve forces the removal of parameters and limits its use very much.

Thanks!

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

I'm not sure if that small deviation is the true reason why the join face is not working, it is just my best guess right now.

"I can't understand why Optimize Curve forces the removal of parameters and limits its use very much."

The optimize face function is very handy when working on imported geometry. Similar to your example file, the imported geometry won't have parameters to start with, so no loss there.

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

But your input geometry is non-associative (assume imported from Catia as that is how holes are done), so why is it important to create a feature? Repairing converted geometry would be the task to do before doing any feature based modifications on the geometry.

Steve V

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi @StevenVickers   @cowski1  Thank you both for your comments! Very practical and very helpful!