Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

fail to snap "Intersection"

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
I have two curves on a face. I can create a point by "Intersection Point" with them.

But I fail to snap "Intersection", e.g. in creating a line with the intersection point as the start point.

Is it a bug? Thanks!

Image.png

Image.png
12 REPLIES

Re: fail to snap "Intersection"

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom

Starting simple....do you have the intersection filter toggled on?

intersection.jpg

-Dave
NX 11 | Teamcenter 11 | Windows 8.1

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi @DaveK  Yes. Thanks!

Image.png

Phenom
Phenom

@surfactant,

You have a small gap between the splines.  If this is as intended, use the pulldown on the Point dialog and change the Type from Inferred Point to Intersection Point then select the splines one at a time.  Make sure that whichever spline you want the point to lie on is the first object selected when using this method.

If you wish to close the gap, then project Composite Curve (3) and then Snap Point will work.  The curve lying on the surface's trim edge is not necessary to get an intersection with Composite Curve (3).

-Tim

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Hi @surfactant,

I see no reason why the intersection fails to be identified.  There is a small gap and I tried adjusting tolerances with no success.  If I use Project Curve to project Composite Curve(3) to the surface the intersection is found.  Similarly if I create an Intersection Curve (using the original curve to create a datum plane) the intersection is found.  I created additional curves on the surface, with larger gaps than Composite Curve(3), and the intersection was found.

You might want to open a case with GTAC to have development review your part and explain why it's not possible.  I did find an old PR which suggested creating an Intersection Point as an intermediate step in the case where the snap intersection was not working.

Regards, Ben

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi @BenBroad  @TimF   Thank you both for checking and clarifying!

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi all, I'm still a little confused by the issue.

In "Point" > "Intersection Point" there seems to be

• no settings of tolerance and
  • no projecting mechanism to get an alternative intersection point.

Q1: If the gap makes snap "Intersection" fail, why doesn't the gap stop "Point" > "Intersection Point" from working?

Q2: What does it means when "Point" > "Intersection Point" gives an intersection point associatively (successfully)?

Success ("Point" > "Intersection Point")

• no alert, resulting in associative point

Image.png

Failure ("Point" > "Intersection Point")

• alert, resulting in non-associative point

Image.png

Phenom
Phenom
Q1 - Snap Point apparently isn't working as it should for intersection, if I'm reading @BenBroad's response correctly.

Q2 - It means that it worked as it should have and the point resides on the first curve selected, as I stated above.

In the last example with the 2 Alerts (note, this is NOT a failure just a warning or information) I assume the gap is larger than the gap tolerance yet the point is still created on the first curve selected however it cannot be Associative - get the gap smaller if you want a different result.

@BenBroad, please correct me if I'm mistaken.
-Tim

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi @TimF   Thanks a lot for more explanation and sorry for some repetition!

Phenom
Phenom
@surfactant,

No problem - just drill it into your head when you choose the Intersection Point (from the Point dialog's pulldown NOT the Snap Point) that the point will lie on the first object selected of the two.

Sometimes order of selecting objects in NX is VERY important.
-Tim