Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

feature fails to update automatically

Genius
Genius

I have a model with sophisticated parameter control. (Very sorry for no uploading due to company confidence!) A Combined Projection feature always fails to update correctly when a key expression value is changed.

I make a study and find that it's due to "Projection Direction 2":

• After I change the expression value, I open the Combined Projection feature for editing and find that it is "Projection Direction 2" that does not update automatically (Fig.1). Then I change the project direction to "Along Vector" and then back to "Normal to Curve Plane". Now the "Projection Direction 2" points to the updated direction (Fig.2) and then the Combined Projection feature would update correctly.

I wonder what can be done to fix it. Very sorry for so frequent post. Thank you!

ScreenClip [1].pngFig.1 Before manual operation        ScreenClip [3].pngFig.2 After manual operation

ScreenClip [1].png

17 REPLIES

Re: feature fails to update automatically

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom
Try first creating a Datum Axis on the curve then using that for the direction in the combined curve.
Also look at other geometry to use for direction, if the curve is not planer or could radically change position or shape, this might not be the most reliable method to define a direction.
Steve V

Genius
Genius

Hi, @StevenVickers

Thanks!

Creating a Datum Axis doesn't fix it. As can be seen, the Datum Axis (purple arrow, lower) does update with the changing expression value, but "Projection Direction 2" (orange, higher) doesn't follow the Datum Axis! 

Both curve strings are created in sketch and so strictly coplanar.

ScreenClip [4].png

Genius
Genius

The failure of Combined Projection feature to update automatically turns out to be a serious problem.

Wne one key expression value is changed, some Combined Projection features would not update automatically. This would DISRUPT many later features, which can't revive even after the problematic Combined Projection features are fixed by manual intervention as described in the first post of this thread.

Any help would be highly appreciated!

Siemens Phenom

I created a simple example of sketch curves on planes, when I edit the plane angles the combine curve updates.

Could you create an example that can be posted that shows the issue?

Steve V

Siemens Phenom
If the data is too confidential to load up to this site then I suggest logging a PR with GTAC so they can take a look at it.
Steve V

Genius
Genius

Hi, @StevenVickers

The attached file is an example reproducing the issue. I try my best, and fail to fix it.

• Profile_1: the black line
  • Profile_2: the black arc
  • Combined: the blue arc ---- combined projection of Profile_1 and Profile_2

• PROFILE_2_ORIGINAL (non-timestamp): the grey arc. Profile_2 is derived from moving this grey arc to another CSYS.

You can simply modify the user expression "myAngle_factor" from 1 to 2, and also from 2 back to 1. After each modification you can see that the combined projection only updates after manul intervension as described in the first post of this thread.

ScreenClip [6].png

Thanks!

Siemens Phenom

I am able to reproduce your behavior if I have "Menu > Tools > Update > Delay Model Update" enabled.  With Delay Model Update disabled the Combined Projection updates whenever I change the angle (NX11.0.2 mp4).

Regards, Ben

Genius
Genius

Hi, @BenBroad 

The "Delay Model Update" option is disabled by default. The issue is still there for me.

Interestingly, when I enable "Delay Model Update" and then modify the angle, nothing happens. After I click "Update Model", the WRONG result shows up!

Thanks!

Siemens Phenom
My mistake. I see the issue now in NX 11 and NX 12. I'm recreating your part in earlier versions to see how it responds there too. I can't reproduce the problem in NX 11 with a simple combine projection case.

Regards, Ben