Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

feature layers changing

Creator
Creator

Hello, My part features are mysteriously changing back to the layer they were created in.  I am only in the part, no assembly is involved.  This is happening when I roll thru the features using Feature Replay and has been going on for a few months.  Any ideas on why?  Thanks.

2 REPLIES

Re: feature layers changing

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

I was not able to reproduce that behavior using NX 7.5.5.4.

John R. Baker, P.E. (ret)
EX-Product 'Evangelist'
Irvine, CA

Re: feature layers changing

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

This is what you may be seeing, which I can best explain with an example, which turned out to be long-winded.

• Go to an empty layer (say layer 10), make it work layer and make an entity like a datum axis, not using any previous features, use something like along Y axis.
  • Now hide the datum axis.
  • Move the datum axis feature from the end of the feature tree to after the first feature, make original layer the work layer and make  layer 10 with the hidden datum axis invisible.
  • Go to Feature Replay and use Make First Feature Current.
  • Now use Make Next Feature Current which is the datum axis. From NX6 through NX8.5, the hidden geometry on the invisible layer was displayed by moving the entity to the work layer. This can be seen by looking at the Layer column in the Part Navigator. Datum axis has been moved to the work layer temporarily.
  • At this point, if you went and made another feature or even did something like go to the end of the feature tree in the Part Navigator and used Make Current Feature, it didn't move the entity back to where it should be and it didn't change layer visibility status either. Not desirable behavior to my mind.

If you are going to use Feature Replay to look at part construction, you should stick with it until the end and use Make Last Feature Current, which reinstates everything.

At NX9 and beyond, if you do above scenario and jump out of Feature Replay, the behavior is now to leave the entity where it was originally created instead of moving it  but the layer will still be visible. Much better than moving the entity to another layer.