Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

fillet corner on sheet body?

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
I cut an opening on a 3D sheet body, but don't know how to fillet the resulting sharp corner. I scanned through all the features available and failed to find one for the job.

Is there any way other than going back to fillet the curve used to cut the sheet body?

Hope to have your suggestion. Thanks!

ScreenClip [2].png
8 REPLIES

Re: fillet corner on sheet body?

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Why don't you create blend on tool body before trim operation?

Regards,
Ganesh

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi @GaneshKadole

Yes. I know I can blend the tool body first. I just want to know whether there's a direct approach to operate on the sheet body. Maybe I think too much. Thanks!

Legend
Legend
What you are calling a "direct approach" will add more complexity to the model history.

Here is a more direct approach that accomplishes your goal without adding any new features to the model history. It will help you to learn these two tips:

1. In the sketch, add a radius to the corner using the sketch Fillet command. Use the Untrim option to not trim the sketch. This will keep all your existing dimensions the same, because it does not trim the corner away from your rectangle.

2. In the Extrude, select in the middle of the region with one click using the Curve Rule of Region Boundary Curves.

Don't think of it being a hard thing to go back and edit the sketch. This is what parametric feature-based modeling is all about!

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi @MarkLawry, thank you for your tips and comments!

Siemens Valued Contributor Siemens Valued Contributor
Siemens Valued Contributor

The answers you have received already are spot on and would be the recommended methods, you can create a blend if you desire by creating a curve on surface using G1/G2 controls and then using Fill Surface w/ the option to Patch into Part turned on.

2017-12-18 20_37_45-Part Navigator.jpg2017-12-18 20_39_41-Part Navigator.jpg

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi @NCostello, thanks for the very interesting solution!

Legend
Legend
You can make 'tunnel' with Law Extention command from the 3 edges.
And Sew 'tunnel sheet body' to the 'dome'.
Then use edge blend, and then remove the rounded tunnel faces.
(Sorry. i cannot attach images because of intranet security problem. )

Sunkap Ahn, Senior Support Engineer

logo

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi @SKAHN Can't understand your method well. I would surely try "Law Extension" for a solution later. Thanks for sharing!