Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

generate missing part family members

hi guys,

when we use "generate missing part family members " load option, do we have to specify the load option: "from search folders"? or is there any way I could choose "as saved"?

of course I am tying to work with family members, but project files (as well as library) is on server, and I want NX to generate family members any time it fails to find them.

I could arrange nx to save family parts on server, and if I choose "as saved" it works..

but I want it to work "as saved" without asking NX to save ths family pars on server.

(thats why generate missing ones is for, isnt  it?)

bye!

9 REPLIES

Re: generate missing part family members

This is from the Help Documentation:

Part family members

If your assembly includes an instance of a part family template, there is a set of criteria to establish the appropriate member of the family.

The member part can be instanced in:

A Teamcenter Integration for NX database.

In the specified native NX folder or search paths.

In the folder specified by the environment variable UGII_INITIAL_FAMILY_INSTANCE_DIR .

For some family members, such as fasteners, it makes sense to:

Keep generated members in a common operating system location set by an environment variable.

Generate required family members every time you open an assembly.

If one or more specified members are not stored in any of the preceding locations, you can select Generate Missing Part Family Members to create new instances of any missing members as you open the assembly.

Still not sure if "Generate Missing Part Family Members" requires load option "From search directories" (I mean if this is a "must"), or if I can combine "Generate Missing Part Family Members" with load option "as saved".

You mentioned "If one or more specified members are not stored in any of the preceding locations, you can select Generate Missing Part Family Members to create new instances of any missing members as you open the assembly"... but it does not work .

I just want to know when (or how) "Generate Missing Part Family Members" works and when it doesnts.

Family parts works fine for me, when members are generated (I mean exist... no matter if they are created local or at server) but cant make "Generate...." to work as I undertood it would, but may be, there is something I am missing.

Thanks in advance.

I have a similar problem as MR76, with the Reusable Standard Parts (the ones stored by defaults in NXPARTS\Reuse Library, let's say ANSI Metric Hex Bolt). I have notice that the template file is in ...\NXPARTS\Reuse Library\Reuse Examples\Standard Parts and subfolders and when you use a member in an assmbly, it is  saved in the Temp folder (C:\Users\....\AppData\Local\Temp).

I would have expected that the "Generate Missing Part Family Members" option in the Load Options, actually regenerated the missing parts if or when the Temp folder is cleaned off (eg with CCleaner or similar); but it doesn't happen. So I have not quite understood what's the use of that option and which is the correct way of using the Standard Parts from the Reuse Library.

Thanks for any clarification!

Laura

If it creates the parts "on the fly" in a temp folder...

Customer defaults -> Gateway -> Reuse Library -> "Reusable component" tab

"Part family save directly" setting

I think the OOTB setting is "$UGII_TMP_DIR\ReuseLibraryFamilyMember" (for Windows)

Set this to somewhere "permanent" (that the users have write access to, preferably a shared drive?)

But you may want to see if you can "pre-create" all the part family members for each master, and create them in the (?) same folder as the master (or maybe a subfolder? - I don't remember this stuff in Native mode as I've been using TC for a while now) then users don't have to create "on the fly".

ken

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP5 + patch/TC11.2
I'd rather be steemed than diseaseled

Hi Laura,

As I understood that time, generate works if family Part member is missing and you choose assembly load options as search folders. You have then to"tell" nx to search in your library location. You have to let the program know where the library that contains the family (the original one, the one that has the seed file) is. Then nx will be able to generate missing parts.

So in search folders you will have to point to your project folders and your library folders.

Hope you understand (I can try to explain you in Spanish if you want... I didn't do it because we are writing in an open forum)

Thank you very much, it is perfectly clear

Thank you Ken, I will try to change the "Family Save directory" option in each template of the Standard Parts.

Maybe it is the solution

Hi to all,

this option I wasn't able to run and when someone had ask the same, I thought, I'm not alone. Then I open an IR to GTAC and they said :

The option is regarding export assemblies from TC to native and import assemblies from native to TC.

Please have a look at the files attached.

Thank you...

Using NX 10 / RuleDesigner PDM

......Testing NX 11 on production

@Ken_A I beleive Ken is correct. And like Ken it's been awhile since I've used Family of parts. I believe you might actually be able to control the child location in the family spreadsheet (filename). You can also, like Ken mentioned, just generate all the family members immediatly- why wait? Disk space is really, really cheap these days!