Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

help deforming surface

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Imagine you have a ruffled potatoe chip that you can lay flat on a table, and it still has the ruffles just not the large curls, if you can call them that.

I have this shape, already defined.  I now need to put the curls in it, or lift some parts off of the table to create the chip.

I have been looking and it seems like realize shape is the tool to do this, but I cannot figure out how to create a cage (?) on to my already created shape.  It seems like you need to actually create the shape inside realize shape, is this correct?

I have a flat potato chip and a set of points in space that I want to deform the chip up to.

5 REPLIES

Re: help deforming surface

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Another potential solution could be global shaping.

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Hi @Mystic97z

You could also use Omnifree transformer which will allow you to use the points in space.

I could do a test for you if you can share the part.

Regards

Paul

Phenom
Phenom

20180801_mf_Analyze Formability - One-step.jpg

Michael Fernando

Die Designer
NX 11.0.2.7 + PDW

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
I typed in “omnifree transform” into YouTube and it looks like what I need. Is this a plug in or something? I’ll have to check at work tomorrow but I’ve been digging into this quite a bit and I don’t think I’ve run across this tool

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Hi @Mystic97z

If you type Omni into the command finder you will find three functions. Flowblend, Omnifee transformer and Omnimesh transformer. Primarily aimed at automotive die face design and springback modeling which is almost identical to what your are doing with your curved crinkle cut chip.

Very powerful and maintains internal surface continuity, up to G4, of the original design after deformation.

It should be installed by default you just need to turn on the menu bar. The documentation shows how to use but they are straigh forward functions, a bit easier to use than global shaping.

Hope this helps

Regards

Paul