Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to align one coordinate axis of a component with other axis in assembly

Pioneer
Pioneer

Hello everyone, I am trying to assemble two components by putting a spring in a tube. The spring center axis is along the z direction. I can't select the z axis of the spring when import the entire part. Any ideas?

Thanks a lot.

5 REPLIES

Re: how to align one coordinate axis of a component with other axis in assembly

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Is there a datum axis along the spring CL?

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP16/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steamed than e-diseaseled

Pioneer
Pioneer
No. Now I see. Maybe the work coordinates system axis should include three data axis by default, also the origin should be a point for easy selection.
Thank you!

For spring models, I like to add geometry in the file that will help position/constrain the spring; usually a datum axis along the spring axis and/or a cylinder to represent the bounds of the spring. The last spring I used was a torsion spring where the OD of the coil was supposed to touch a planar surface of another part in the assembly. The cylinder represented the OD of the coil and made it very easy to constrain the spring correctly. The 'extra' geometry is kept in its own reference set to easily show or hide it in the assembly.

@QQ wrote:
No. Now I see. Maybe the work coordinates system axis should include three data axis by default, also the origin should be a point for easy selection.
Thank you!

Well, just create a DatumCsys as your first feature, and you've got what you asked for (and a bit more)

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP16/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steamed than e-diseaseled

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom

For unusual things, we create a "mate" reference set, with any extra data that you need to mate the component.  Then you can toggle back to "model" so you don't see the extra stuff.

-Dave
NX 11 | Teamcenter 11 | Windows 10