cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to make custom cross-section in nx

Creator
Creator

how can i add my own cross section of pipes in nx. I found various link on the net regarding it but every time error appears. please help.

10 REPLIES

Re: how to make custom cross-section in nx

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom
Are you trying to create the cross section using a sketch and then sweeping it? What error are you getting? A screenshot of what you're attempting to create (and the error) will help the forum.

Regards, Ben

Creator
Creator
i do have a chair model. and i wanted a hollow pipe cross section over it
in mechanical routing steelwork.

Creator
Creator

this is the error.

thank you for the quick reply

Siemens Phenom

The Steelwork discipline has a Pipe node under Routing Part Library: Steelwork Stock when assigning stock.  Do you have access to that stock?  If you do why is it not suitable, or are you just trying to create your own stock cross sections?

Screenshot - 8_24_2017 , 8_35_10 AM.png

In order to create your own stock, you would need to create a part containing the cross section curves, define the curves as cross section using the Qualify Part utility, convert the part into a Part Family, associate a Part Table (ptb) file to that Part Family and then associate the Part Library View (plv) file with the ptb.

Regards, Ben

Creator
Creator

yes i am creating my own stock. i followed the steps as explained on the youtube but there is an error.

i created the cross section curves and defined the curve using qualify part utility.

can you please tell me the next step.  thanku in advance.

Screenshot (201).png

Siemens Phenom

I would take a look at existing (example) stock parts and ptb that are supplied with NX.  For example, the steel_pipe_mm.prt and corresponding steel_pipe_mm.ptb.  Open the prt file and see how it's been qualified and then open the Part Family spreadsheet.  Note that it only has 3 columns; Part_Name, wall_thk and pipeod.  Now open the ptb in a text editor and note the similar columns; PART_NAME, WALL_THK and PIPEOD, along with several others, one of which determines the Part Family Member to be used for your specific design (which OD and Wall Thickness).

NX supplies utilities that create the PTB's (ss2ptb) and associate them with their corresponding prt files (update_fam_from_ptb).  Using an exising ptb file as an example you can create your own ptb to be associated with your new stock prt file.  Once these are complete you will need to add your stock as a new node in your Part Library View file such that it will appear under your Steelwork node when adding stock.

Hope that helps,

Ben

Creator
Creator

thank you for ur help.

i followed the steps u told but the same error appears again and again Smiley Sad.

Creator
Creator

this is my cross section for the pipe.Screenshot (202).png

Siemens Phenom
Can you upload the file?