Did you mean: 

Re: how to solve substract problem

Pioneer
Pioneer
thank you, this is an actual tool is big than helix pitch,

Legend
Legend

Although not sure it is correct or not I found a way to do that.

Take a look:

self intersection-2.jpg

Pioneer
Pioneer
the basic theory of swept volume is a boolean operation, so I have tried many times, it is failure

Pioneer
Pioneer
what is your nx version? I can not open it, I use 12.0

Experimenter
Experimenter

You could use the same profile and use the combine tool instead. This would allow you to select the ace you want to keep. I wiil try to give you feedback!

Legend
Legend

Hi @N12X

It is NX 1847

So I describe my solution:

You don't need to make all of your tool with swept body. Make just half a turn in your helix to avoid self intersection. Then make a pattern feautre of swept with helix layout of the same pitch. 3 instances in 1 mm. That's the trick. 

Pioneer
Pioneer
thank you, it is a method.

Pioneer
Pioneer
it is a methodology, although it is slow if the helix turn is 100 or more, this method can fulfill the mission, I hope that one day we can use the subtract command, it is more quickly rather than step by step. thank you very much.

Experimenter
Experimenter
Why do you say it is slow?
Also you don't have to use the unite command before the subtract one so you save 1 move
And if you use the same geometry often, you could easily take those few step and make it into a UDF.
In fact you could probably use different geometry inside the UDF as well.

Siemens Legend Siemens Legend
Siemens Legend

A solid body is not solid but a shell of surfaces.
To become a solid, all surfaces are trimmed together into a "watertight" shell. The faces of the solid shares the edges. If these surfaces are not completely closed, "watertight", it is a sheet body. 
There is no material inside the volume, it is a shell where the faces have zero thickness.

All faces has a positive and a negative side,  the face normal is ( shown) on the positive side.
The definition of "the volume" is that all faces of the volume have the positive side of the faces "out" from the volume. - the "negative side is the material side".

When You boolean one solid to/from another, the solid modeler will trim the faces of the two volumes together.
 for this operation to be successful, the volumes must be clean enough or logic enough for the system to find the result that you , the user, expect.
You first example is not, for the solid modeler, logic enough. It cannot tell what volumes should be removed or left due to the helical sweeps self interference. You must create a more logical and "clean" sweep such that NX "understands" your intentions.

regards,

Tomas