Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

imageware format

Genius
Genius

Is there a way to convert 3d scan files (stl, pts, etc) into the imageware .iws format?

I checked the Imageware documentation and I am not familiar with how Imageware is integrated into NX.

https://support.industrysoftware.automation.siemens.com/docs/imageware/

9 REPLIES

Re: imageware format

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

First, import the scan files into NX.

Then, the full documentation explains what to do.

Open the Imageware Integration dialog box (MenuToolsImageware Integration).

Under the File option, select New to create a new Imageware file, or Open to open an existing Imageware file.

Type the file name for the Imageware file in the Name text box, or use the Browse button to select an Imageware file from the operating system. Imageware files have an extension of .imw.

Indicate whether to export NX data to Imageware. The current NX part file will be saved to a temporary file that will be opened once Imageware is launched. Imageware will convert all desired NX objects into Imageware objects.  After exporting NX data to Imageware, you can save it as an .imw file and use the 'Import Current File' option to transfer the objects back into NX.

Click Launch Imageware.

Imageware starts up as an application independent of NX, with the specified new or existing part already loaded.

Note that Imageware must be installed on your system, and the environment variable UGII_IMAGEWARE_EXEC properly defined.

Genius
Genius

Thank you for the reply. In my attempt to convert an STL file into a .IMW file, here is what I did

1. I set the environment variable UGII_IMAGEWARE_EXEC="C:\Program Files\Siemens\NX 10.0\UGIMW"

Imported the STL file into NX

3. Launched Imageware integration from Menu/Tools
  4. In the dialog box, I chose file "New" and gave the file a name
  5. I checked "Export NX Data"
  6. I clicked "Launch Imageware"

And then a pop-up box appeared stating "Unable to launch Imageware"

I also tried

1. Unchecking "Export NX Data"
  2. Import other file.

Solution Partner Legend Solution Partner Legend
Solution Partner Legend

Do you already have Imageware installed in your system?

Is it installed in your folder ...NX 10.0\UGIMW???

Genius
Genius

@Jahnsen wrote:

Do you already have Imageware installed in your system?

Is it installed in your folder ...NX 10.0\UGIMW???

I have two folders, application and startup. There are some .dll files in application.

Siemens Phenom

Couple of questions.

Why do you need to convert to Imageware format? What is the construction task you want to do? It may be possible to do this in NX.

Also do you have the Imageware as a stand-alone product? The NX integration is to transfer the data between the two products, you still have to purchase Imageware to get it to run from NX.

If you do have Imageware, it has itself an extensive set of tools for importing scan data, you do not have to go via NX.

Steve V

Genius
Genius

@StevenVickers wrote:

Couple of questions.

Why do you need to convert to Imageware format? What is the construction task you want to do? It may be possible to do this in NX.

Also do you have the Imageware as a stand-alone product? The NX integration is to transfer the data between the two products, you still have to purchase Imageware to get it to run from NX.

If you do have Imageware, it has itself an extensive set of tools for importing scan data, you do not have to go via NX.

First, I was wanting to learn more about the history and foundation of reverse engineering/3D scanning. There may be a lot of great ideas in Imageware that were ahead of their time and not feasible with the technology they had. At the very least, I hope to get inspired by the pioneers of this field.

Second, I want to see if it's possible to implement something similar to Rhino's meshtoNurbs command(http://wiki.mcneel.com/rhino/meshtonurb). I realize it is no easy task but I want to take an STL file and convert it into a nurbs surface or a solid model.

Do you think NX's Reverse Engineering tools (rapid surfacing, section analysis, etc) are way beyond Imageware or do you think there is some value in learning from Imageware?

I do not think we have Imageware as a standalone product. Is a license available from PLM or is the NX integration mainly for legacy customers? I did not see anything on GTAC.

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

"I realize it is no easy task but I want to take an STL file and convert it into a nurbs surface or a solid model."

If you are using NX 9 (or later), try using the "rough offset" command with an offset value of zero. Rough offset will allow you to select a facet body and (if everything goes as planned) the result will be a B-surface.

Siemens Phenom

I really do not think you want to do what the the Rhino MeshToNurbs does:- "by creating one NURBS surface for EVERY mesh face" . This would create a ridiculous sized model that is of little use.

There are a number of good reverse engineering work flows in NX, which to use pends on the type are geometry your are starting with and what you want to do with the data once converted. Also you may not need to convert from facet to nurbs, there are a number of processes that work without conversion.

Of the different methods:

1. Rapid surfacing. A quick way to convert a facet to NURBS with reasonable quality results. This basically involves sketching freehand on the facet the four edges of surfaces you want to create. It will then generate a tangent continuous model.

2. Fit Surface. Take a look at the enhancements in NX 10. You color shade a facet based on its curvature. The fit surface will then do best fit of plane, cylinder, sphere, cone or free form over a colored area. You can then trim and extend and blend these surfaces together to get your model.

3. Section through and curves through points. Create intersection points through the facet or simply place points on the facet. Fits curves through the geometry then surfaces through the curves.

4. Class A surfaces. Create surface by 4 points on the facet. Dynamic section analysis through facet and surface then use X-Form on the surface to bring surface to the facet. Use Match Edge to being adjacent surfaces together. Will allow you to create curvature continuous quality models.

Steve V

Genius
Genius

Thanks for the all the replies. I have been using Rapid Surfacing, Fit Surface, and Rough Offset quite a bit. They are useful but I am not still not sure what approach would be best for an automated workflow. 

I have not tried Class A surfaces. I will look into that one next.

Here are some other approaches I have come across

1. Fill Hole-great tool for repairing your facet model

2. File-->Import Subdivision Geometry- I converted an STL file to a poly format then I used this import option. As you stated, it's probably not a good idea to try and create a NURBS surface for each mesh face.