Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

intersecting curves for variational sweep, merge curves/channels/sweeps

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hello beloved community,

trying to implement some cooling channels i stumbled upon this "merge" issue here.

I coudn't find anything related in the forum.

The single cooling channel in the back should split up into two identical ones and after a while merge again (see pic).

I used offset curves, bridge curves and studio splines with tangent constraints and setch points to get the curves needed for the sweep.

Using the variational sweep (VS) tool it won't allow the usage of "intersecting" curves or "multiple loops".

I tried "composite curve" to somehow merge the curves beforhand but VS wouldn't take it as input.

When i use several VS i get a non symmetrical connection as you can see in the picture.

Going this particular route (using several VS) will lead to ramifications later on with edge blends to smooth out the merging tubes and to mesh the whole thing in the end for simulation.

Is it possible to implement this kind of cooling channels in NX in a clean way?

Any help woud be greatly apprechiated.

Regards

3 REPLIES

Re: intersecting curves for variational sweep, merge curves/channels/sweeps

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

When i use even more VS

I can get it more symmetrical but the transition is not as smooth as it is with a single VS.

Assuming the Shape would be fine like this the selection issue gets bigger.

I attached a second picture to describe the problem with more details.

Because of the "intersection" of the Curves/Sweeps i get these problematic lines which define the selection choices for the needed edge blends or for the mesh generation in following simulation procedures.

Phenom
Phenom

Ciao @symbolinsight,

you can do a single VS, Trim this VS with a symmetry plan, Mirror Geometry, Unite and Blend.

Instead of the VS try to use my favorite surface: Section Surface :-) as I show in the image below.

SecSurf.png

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

As i will use several different complex shapes i will stick to the VS for now.

The solution you provided is truly helpful

Thank you !

Regards