Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

issue with Divide Face

Genius
Genius
I thought that Divide Face would split a single face into halves that can be handled separately. But it seems not to be the case.

As shown below, I select and hide one half. To my surprise, both halves of the divided surface are hiden!

Do I miss something? Thanks!

Image.png
10 REPLIES

Re: issue with Divide Face

Siemens Honored Contributor Siemens Honored Contributor
Siemens Honored Contributor

Hi @surfactant

What you're seeing is the correct behavior.  A single (sheet) body with a divided face.  Had the divide face produced two individual sheet bodies, then you would have been able to blank one of them.  Compare your result to Split Body, which produces the result you were expecting.

Regards, Ben

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

You cannot hide individual faces of a body (sheet or solid). Your file starts with a single sheet body made of a single face, using divide face gives you a single sheet body with 2 faces. If you use split body, you will end up with 2 sheet bodies each with a single face that you can show/hide individually.

Phenom
Phenom

Ciao @surfactant,

Divide Face is not Split Body!!!

I attach a file with which I show you a use of the command Divide Face + Delete Face

Ciao

Genius
Genius

Hi @BenBroad @cowski1   Thank you for your quick help! Since long the icon of "Split Body" made me think it's dedicated to solid body. Today I know I was wrong.

Hi @Cesare   Thank you for the bonus example! It makes me know when to use Divide Face.

Phenom
Phenom
@surfactant,

Bodies in NX can be solids or surfaces (sheets) but they will all have faces.

It's important to know the differences and relations of faces, edges, surfaces (sheets), solids and bodies. When I refer to these, I am omitting any type of faceted body, as those I tend to feel are different types of solids and should be left out of this "group".
-Tim

Genius
Genius

Hi @TimF   Thanks for pointing out the important series of NX elements!

Genius
Genius
I learnt from @BenBroad that Trim Curve can be used to divide a curve. Behind the scenes Trim Curve creates a copy of the curve first and then split the copy into halves.

But Trim Sheet can't do the similar job of dividing a sheet body.

I learnt from this thread that Split Body is the right tool to divide a sheet body. But I just find that the tool of Split Body can't be a curve.

To divide a sheet with a spline on the sheet, the workaround I can think of is:
  • copy the sheet
  • trim the original sheet to keep one half
  • trim the copy to keep the other half

Is there better way to do the job? Thanks!

Image.png

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Split body can make use of planar curves to divide a body, but you wont get what you want with a closed curve such as you have. One work-around is to use a law extension with your curve and cylinder to create a sheet body that you can then use as input for the split body command.

divide_cylinder.png

Phenom
Phenom

Ciao @surfactant,

until recently Split Body was not associative, as you know.

A workaround was to make an associative copy of the body and then trim it from one side to the other.

You can do this with trim sheet.

Ciao