Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

join faces

Genius
Genius
I try to merge some faces.

• With Optimize Face: Nothing happened.
  • With Join Face:          Error message shows as below.

Do I miss something about the two commands? Thanks!

Image.png
8 REPLIES 8
Highlighted

Re: join faces

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

A part like that would NOT be a candidate for 'Join Face'.  'Join Face' will not convert a multi-face model into a single face unless the faces were already the same type of surface and were a perfect match.  Generally the 'Join Face' function is to reverse the effects of a 'Divide Face' operation.  Also, they can be used to make two 180˚ faces of a cylinder into a single periodic surface.  NX can create and handle periodic surfaces, but many other systems cannot which is why when converting models from these other system to NX, the cylindrical surfaces are divided into two 180˚ segments.  The 'Join Face' command can remove these 'seams' to create 'clean' cylindrical faces or what is known as a 'periodic' surface.  Your model appears to consist of four planar faces and four cylindrical faces (probably created originally as blends or by extruding a profile made-up of four lines and four arcs.

John R. Baker, P.E. (ret)
EX-Product 'Evangelist'
Irvine, CA

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom

Ciao @surfactant,

I was responding but @JohnRBaker preceded me very little.

I totally agree with him.

Ciao

Legend
Legend

Please refer NX Online documentation.

On Same Surface

Remove redundant faces, edges, and vertices from selected bodies.

If you subdivide a face and subsequently discover that you no longer need the subdivision, you can use this option to remove the unwanted edges and faces.

https://docs.plm.automation.siemens.com/tdoc/nx/11.0.2/nx_help/#goto:modeling:face_join

Sunkap Ahn, Senior Support Engineer

logo

Genius
Genius

Hi @JohnRBaker Thanks for the detailed information!

Hi @Cesare @SKAHN Thank!

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Hijacking the thread:

Join face is flagged as "(Legacy)" in NX12.

I suppose that there is a replacement, for these cases when imported models have "too many faces" for the logical topology.   ( See John's response above)

which / what ?

Regards,

Tomas

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom

Sorry for butting in @1u7obd, but I have something relative to the original post to add that might be of some use to newer users.

@surfactant,

Look into the Quilt command for sheet bodies like you show in your original post.  It won't be a 100% match, but other than complete recreation of the sheet, this might be the closest thing to Join Face in this particular case.

Tim
NX 11.0.2.7 MP11 Rev. A
GM TcE v11.2.3.1
GM GPDL v11-A.3.5.1

Genius
Genius

Hi @TimF   Thank you for reminding about Quilt!

Legend
Legend

@1u7obd wrote:

Hijacking the thread:

Join face is flagged as "(Legacy)" in NX12.

I suppose that there is a replacement, for these cases when imported models have "too many faces" for the logical topology.   ( See John's response above)

which / what ?

Regards,

Tomas

Hi Everyone

I was going to ask a question about "Join Face (Legacy)" in NX12 but I found this question was asked before.

But no answer.

Can anybody explain what is the replacement for Join Face in the future versions?

Best Regards