Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

.jt file conversion to open in Creo parametric

Creator
Creator

Hello, I have .jt file of a tank and would like to convert it into a format which Creo can open and save. I tried saving it as NX .prt file and open it in Creo but "this part cannot be retrived" message pops up. Is there any other solution for this?

5 REPLIES 5

Re: .jt file conversion to open in Creo parametric

Siemens Esteemed Contributor Siemens Esteemed Contributor
Siemens Esteemed Contributor

Hi @gannuagastya,

Does the JT file contain b-rep data?

By default, if you open the JT file in NX, and if it contains b-rep data, the Model History folder in the Part Navigator will list a Datum Coordinate System followed by a JT_ASSOCIATIVE_BODY.  If you have this then you should be able to open the data in Creo.

If you don't see this, check to see "Extract Exact Data" is available by selecting "File > Properties" and select the JT File tab.  If it's greyed out then your JT file has no b-rep data, so it's going to remain lightweight faceted data unless you convert it to parasolid data using various tools available in NX.

Solutions:

• Convert the data to b-rep
  • Export the data from NX as STL
  • Obtain a different format (Parasolid, STEP or IGES)
  • Acquire the Creo Interface for JT Extension

Regards, Ben

Creator
Creator

The .jt files I have does not contain any b-rep data. So do you mean these files can't be opened in Creo even if I buy the JT extension?

I have tried converting them into parasolid which works for simple models whereas I lose lot of components in complex models when opned in Creo. IGES works with for me now but it is a dead format which doesn't contain much data as you know. Which is a better format among IGES,STEP and Parasolid?

Another warning pops up when I open these .jt files in NX is attached below(picture):

Does that affect anything here?

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

STEP or Parasolid are better than IGES

But if there is no BREP data in the JT, then you will end up with faceted data in NX.

And I don't know if the NX STEP or Parasolid exports support faceted data.

Conversion warning just means NX can't figure out what the units are, so (depending on the JT and the NX settings) you may end up with

- a part that is the right size

- a part that is 25.4 times too large

- a part that is 25.4 times too small

Should be easy enough to determine which case you have.

I don't know how the JT->Creo works, someone else will have to answer that.

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP16/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steamed than e-diseaseled

Siemens Esteemed Contributor Siemens Esteemed Contributor
Siemens Esteemed Contributor
The .jt files I have does not contain any b-rep data. So do you mean these files can't be opened in Creo even if I buy the JT extension?

It's my understanding that the Creo extension allows JTs to be opened directly, therefore bypassing the need to save them in NX.

I have tried converting them into parasolid which works for simple models whereas I lose lot of components in complex models when opned in Creo.

Since your files do not contain b-rep data, once saved in NX the data remains a faceted lightweight body.  I suspect that Creo is having problems reading (or translating) the faceted data from the NX part file.  Are you opening the NX part file directly in Creo?

IGES works with for me now but it is a dead format which doesn't contain much data as you know. Which is a better format among IGES,STEP and Parasolid?

I didn't know IGES was dead.  Based on the number of calls we get relating to IGES it appears to be very much alive.  If you can get it, Parasolid would be the ideal format as any translation to and from STEP or IGES has the potential of introducing tolerances and/or artefacts.

Another warning pops up when I open these .jt files in NX is attached below(picture):

Does that affect anything here?

If you know the units used for the JT data then you can preset them using the variable mentioned in the Open warning (UGII_JT2NX_DEFAULT_UNITS), otherwise you might end up with faceted geometry scaled by a factor of 25.4.

Regards, Ben

Highlighted

Creator
Creator

Thank you. This helps a lot. And yes I'm opening the NX converted files directly in Creo. By the way, NX .prt files cannot be opened in my Creo 4.0  - It is not able to retrieve the .prt file when openend directly by Creo. That, if worked, would have been ideal in my case. 

By "dead format" I mean IGES models tend to be as surface models which could have gaps and missing faces whereas STEP files stay as solid models.