Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

layers application

Creator
Creator

hi every one.

i am new to nx 9.

what is exacy use of layers in nx?can any one explain with example?

27 REPLIES

Re: layers application

Solution Partner Legend Solution Partner Legend
Solution Partner Legend
Here we use layers to organize the objects in my model.
for example, (Just an example)
all datum planes in layer 1.
all datum coordinate system in layer 2.
all sketches in layer 3.
all solid bodies in layer 4.
and so on..

I can easily isolate all solid bodies by unchecking layers other than layer 4 in view->layer settings
Or easily edit sketches by making all other layers visible only. this way you can only select sketches.
It has many uses, its up to you to explore Smiley Happy

Regards,
~Sen

Phenom
Phenom

If you are working with NX old-timers, they will say how much they love the Layers like their Drawing Board. Then you may have to follow their age old set rules.

If you are coming from other software, you will feel the pain of how much work involved to maintain those layers.

Similar to what you find in other software, NX has come up with new Show and Hide tools to work way faster without maintaining layer structure in each component.

These days generally one file contains only one component=one solid working body and if have multiple construction bodies, then you could hide them inside layers to show only when needed.

Michael Fernando

Die Designer
NX 11.0.2.7 + PDW

Genius
Genius

Layers can be additional work, but it's pressing buttons, not digging fence post holes. NX has all the selection filters necessary, unlike other "cutting edge" software, to help make this task fairly simple.

Comes in quite handy when working in drafting & hiding geometry in all views as well as turning off layers you don't want to see - it's a one step process, with no additional selctions like with show/hide each time you want to use it. Layer categories can make this even simpler.

It's all personal preference. Some people don't mind working in a mess of datums, points, curves and surfaces; others prefer to have things a bit more organized so that the next user that comes along can make sense of what's going on with the model and supporting geometry or a drawing.

Show/Hide isn't new - it's been around since the 90's and was called Blank/Unblank.

-Tim

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

There are many ways to show or hide geometry in NX.  Layers is one.  Layers let you manage object types to be placed on a layer such that you can make those objects Visible/Invisible/Selectable (a visible only object cannot be selected).  You also define a Work Layer - anything new that is created is placed on the Work Layer.

As you work on your part you can make layers visible/invisible.  You also have the option to use Layers Visible in View - meaning that your TOP view can show difference objects than your FRONT view.  This helps to display different objects in different views in Drafting, and can also be used in Modeling.  So while your Layer Settings manage your Global Layers, Layers Visible in View allow you to override the global layers.

There are other methods to show or hide geometry, including Show & Hide, View Dependency, Reference Sets, Hide/Show Component,  Component & Feature Suppression, to name a few.  When combined they help NX work efficiently - loading only what is required for display purposes, and allow you to display exactly what you need.  It's good to get a fundamental understanding of each of these concepts and how they interact with each other... especially when you've used Visible in View to make your Work Layer invisible in your Work View and new objects are disappearing (a common mistake - and we've all done it).

Regards, Ben

Phenom
Phenom

If thinking outside of high maintenance Layer filtering concepts, "Ctl+w" could be your best buddy.

FYI: I guess NX is gearing towards Attribute driving Assm/Model filtering method. Type in Find Command > “View Manager” to see if it’s available to you!

Michael Fernando

Die Designer
NX 11.0.2.7 + PDW

Phenom
Phenom

Question: Why do you have to think beyond Layer structure?

Answer: Because it’s the new way in NX!

Explanation:

When creating a new feature, it’s required to create a sketch first (or specify curves). If the sketch is created while in the feature creation mode, then automatically the sketch is absorbed in to the feature and hidden.

Do a test! After creating a new feature (Eg. Extrude), RMB the feature and “Make Sketch External”. Then RMB the Sketch and “Make Datum External” (availability depends on Sketch Section’s Settings). Check their Layers and you will find all of the elements, i.e. Sketch, Datum Coordinate System are in ONE layer (Working). While creating elements in the command, you were not given the option to specify the current working/different layers.

So do you still really want to stick in to the concept of separating elements in to different layers? What kind of a workload is this?

Michael Fernando

Die Designer
NX 11.0.2.7 + PDW

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

One nice use for layers is assemblies.

If you have geometry needed for constraining (e.g. datums) but you don't want it to show up in the assembly you view, put it on a "datums" (or "Mating" or ...) layer in all parts

Turn that layer on when adding/constraining components, turn it off for viewing the assembly or making a drawing.

This is better than having it in a "mating" reference set, as the geometry is always available.

If you have it in a "mating" reference set, apply constraints, then change reference set to "Model" (or whatever), now the geometry "doesn't exist" so the assembly constraints don't update.

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP5 + patch/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steemed than e-diseaseled

Phenom
Phenom

Ken,

You could work around Datum layers or reference set to do this.

Make all layers visible (= condition like all elements such as Datum, sketches, points in one layer)

Make whatever constrains in assembly. (Could utilize Ctl+W and feature show/hide un/suppress commands effectively to filter as needed)

Finally Ctl+w and press (-) what you don’t want to see, anywhere, Modeling, Drafting, Part level, Assembly level etc.

Michael Fernando

Die Designer
NX 11.0.2.7 + PDW

Legend
Legend

We use layers to organize the data, it may be because I'm an old timer.

Before we moved to direct translators we used to iges out each layer as a separate file for NC cutting in WorkNC.

Now I use layers because with the NX direct translators for WorkNC, NX's Layer Categories become Layer Groups in WorkNC. This makes conveying my intent to the NC programmers much easier. I put things on a layer and hit {ctrl]-L and label it with whats to be done with it and there are less questions and less paperwork.

Plus if I ever have to revisit a job, all of the info is right there.

Edited to add:

In Catia v5, we used to use geometrical sets in much the same way. While CatiaV5 has layers, they make it very hard to use them.

Rob Newcomb, CAD/CNC/Simulation manager
Elmhirst Industries, Specializing in Prototype sheet metal stampings and assemblies

Production: NX 11.0.2.7 / Autoform r7 /WorkNC 2017 r2
Testing:NX12 EAP
PC: Rave Cadbeast: Intel(R) i7-4790K CPU @ 4.GHz /32gb ram /NVIDIA Quadro K2200 on Win10 Pro