Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

managing more than 40 nodelocked licenses

Pioneer
Pioneer

My compnay has gives flexibility of nodelocked licenses to users, since many work off netwrok/VPN from vendor location.

These users also have option to connect to flaoting licenses, when they work from office using a Desktop. so basically each user has more than one license allocated (one node locked. one floating)

during course of time we have more than 40 nodelcoked licenses spread between many users and have 40 floating licenses for same usersand PC users. 

1. Any best practises on how you manage these licenses in your company
  2. is there any option to streamline the licensing, and thus improve license usage  

any experience if experts can share is apprciated.

6 REPLIES

Re: managing more than 40 nodelocked licenses

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom
That seems pretty wasteful in terms of licensing costs. Why not just use licensing borrowing instead and ditch the node locked licenses?

Larry Carpenter, P.E.
CAxPLM Architect @ Siemens Molecular Imaging
Past Board Member @ PLM World, Inc,

Pioneer
Pioneer

Thank you for the reply Larry, ( i was watching you NX11 new features and NX ribbon customisation Video on youtube yesterday Smiley Happy, as always they were best )

can you please  give more info on license borrowing.

• Things have been establsihed like this for long before i joined, so i am exploring alernatives that i can Provide. i need SPLM authorised way where we can cutdown nodelcoked licenses and still allow users to work on NX when they work in offline mode (Like they Travel to asia to be at Vendor place, work from home without connecting VPN)
  • To add complexity designers are free to use machine of their choice (MAC/Widnows) so we have many MAC users running NX on MAC+Parallesl+widnows(NX)
  • Currently we are not on TC, planned to take the Teamcenter+NX route by year end

appreciate your response

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom
You're thinking of a different Larry. The only YouTube videos I do are for my BEER-N-BBQ by Larry YouTube Channel @ https://www.youtube.com/c/BEERNBBQBYLARRY .

If you're going to TC later this year then this is a non issue as you'll need VPN access to use NX with Teamcenter anyway.

But...if you want to do it now, there is a NX license borrow utility on your computer. If on windows, it's in the NX program group. You select what licenses you need and how long to borrow them.

Larry Carpenter, P.E.
CAxPLM Architect @ Siemens Molecular Imaging
Past Board Member @ PLM World, Inc,

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

To use borrowing on networked licenses:

1) You have to let Siemens know you want to borrow licenses, so they can generate a license file that allows borrowing.  The NETWORK License features (INCREMENT lines) should include data like "BORROW=2880".  If that text isn't there, contact whomever you buy licenses thru & ask for borrowing to be enabled.

Once you have that license (if not already)

(Windows 10 example, extrapolate as required for Win 7 / Mac / etc., and for different versions)

- Start -> Siemens NX 10.0 -> Licensing tool

- Click on the "Borrowing settings" option

- do whatever as needed.

There is documentation on license borrowing, search the GTAC documentation site (NX docs) for it.

As Larry says, when working in Teamcenter, "off line" is not an option (If you allow them to work outside TC, then have "fun" (not!) dealing with all the "import" issues to get the native files back into TC!)

Users will have to VPN in from home, or you will have to provide some sort of wireless/whatever networking capability that they can use to VPN in from home or customer sites that don't have networking available for your users. 

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP16/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steamed than e-diseaseled

Solution Partner Creator Solution Partner Creator
Solution Partner Creator

From 2 may 2017 Licens borrow is enabled by defalul for all supported software. All licenses generated after that has it by default. Go to GTAC and search for SFB-All-11151 for more information.

Regards

/Mattias

NX5 -> NX12
I-Deas 12 -> NX I-Deas 6.4

Phenom
Phenom

I suppose the nodelocked licenses point to a dongle and each PC have their own license file, if so try to do two batch files for the boot of NX, in one of these add the line

SET SPLM_LICENSE_SERVER = C:\path....\nodelockedlicensefilename.extension

This should overwrite the Windows system variable SPLM_LICENSE_SERVER = 28000@hostname

Or viceversa if the PC's system variable points to the nodelockedlicensefilename.extension

Ciao