Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

measure U/V on a curve/face?

Genius
Genius
Is it possible to measure the U/V Percentage of an existing point for downstream use? Thanks!

Image.png
9 REPLIES 9

Re: measure U/V on a curve/face?

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom

@surfactant,

If you create an associate Point and use the Snap Point option Point on Face there will be U & V expressions to which you can reference - no need to measure.

Tim
NX 11.0.2.7 MP11 Rev. A
GM TcE v11.2.3.1
GM GPDL v11-A.3.7

Gears Phenom

NOW, you can reference the Point UV values with your Studio Spline and it will move around with the Point but it's still using the face for the continuity. I still believe the Bridge Curve will update more predictably than the Studio Spline - as you move the Point around, you'll have to adjust the interior poles of the Studio Spline - and maybe the angle a bit.

Tim
NX 11.0.2.7 MP11 Rev. A
GM TcE v11.2.3.1
GM GPDL v11-A.3.7

Genius
Genius

Hi @TimF   Thank you for your video!

With your method I can't get the U/V of the intersection point. Maybe I miss something?

Image.png

Highlighted

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Hi Surfactant,

There seems to be a long chain here to get to the type of curve you want. I believe that this is unnessecary and that there are alternatives but it is impossible to guide you with only a tad of information on information in probably a specific area of your design. If you share the design intent and a bigger picture you will get the right type of answer here. Why would you want to do it this way? Whats the purpose?

Keep it simple ;-)

Best Regards

Fred

Genius
Genius

Hi @Sandman   Thank you for your comments and suggestion!

Honestly, this question is a long time issue for me, not only for the topic in my previous thread. I notice that to set a studio spline to be G2/sectional to a face is a unique capability and really magic sometimes. But the only limitation is that the connection point on face can be defined only by U/V percentages.

Yes, Bridge Curve doesn't have the limitation. But for a bidge curve, the degree can be 3 for G1/G1, 5 for G2/G2, and 7 for G3/G3. Where a transitional curve G1/G3 is desired, there is no choice but to install a bridge curve G3/G3 of degree 7. The drawback is not only the exessive 2 degree, but also the G3 shape forced on the G1 end. In summary, the need for asymmetric bridge curves is the main reason why I prefer Studio Spline in some cases.

Thanks again!

Gears Phenom
@surfactant,

What you said in regards to continuity must match with Bridge Curve is not accurate. You can set the continuity for each end to be whatever you wish. What you cannot control is the number of poles.

I agree with @Sandman in that you seem very intent on building complexity into things that I really do not think is necessary. You don't have to have 100% parametric relationships in your models - and that's probably why you're seeing the number of features increase in your Model Navigator.
Tim
NX 11.0.2.7 MP11 Rev. A
GM TcE v11.2.3.1
GM GPDL v11-A.3.7

Genius
Genius

Hi @TimF   Thank you for your comments!

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Hi Surfactant,

Firstly what you are trying to achieve is currently not directly possible, meaning that you will have to add some extra information to achieve what you want and make the curve a derived curve with the additional information. You can do this by creating your own feature such as e.g. a UDF (collection of standard features assembeled by you to define specific design/construction areas) should this be a frequent reoccuring situation (like creating your required spline curve from the original post) while at the same time filing an ER with GTAC for downstream potential increased standard functionallity.

Secondly it is still hard to advice properly as we only have very sparse information on what you are trying to achive. @Yamada had a very interesting question/information in an earlier post:

https://community.plm.automation.siemens.com/t5/NX-Design-Forum/Why-is-quot-light-math-quot-importan...

With that stated and with not really kowing what you are trying to achieve it is hard to advice as stated earlier. The only thing I get (I think) it that you are focused more on the definition/paremeterisation of the output geometry rather than the meaning or the impact of overly trying to simplify the output maybe where not really necessary). I guess what Im trying to say is that many things are generally accepted downstreams and there is no need to spend time on deeply disect and overly optimize - let the system do that for you. But as stated earlier without knowing or understanding what you are trying to achive it is impossible to properly advice....

With that said I do hope that you are aproaching your finishing line and that things are getting clearer as you go. i know I have mentioned this earlier but I still urge you to contact your local Siemens PLM contact and set up a maybe an onsite assessment wehere you will get a new pair of eyes from experts that can really optimize what you are trying to achieve and make you truly efficiant in your process. You can contact me and I can arange something to help - maybe a onsite assessment and optimization, workshop or similar - thoughts?

Best Regards

Fred

Genius
Genius

Hi @Sandman   Thank you for your explanation and kind offer of help!