Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

mechatronics concept designer guide

Experimenter
Experimenter

Hello

i wanted to ask if there is any training guide on mechatronics concept designer so I can start working with it

thanks

38 REPLIES

Re: mechatronics concept designer guide

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

If you have access to the NX Help collection, there is a dedicated collection of topics for MCD.  Also, there are self-paced training lessons available for MCD on the Learning Advantage website.

Experimenter
Experimenter

i am sorry i didn't understand

what do you mean by "NX Help collection";

do you referencing to the nx 9 documentation;

if so i do have access to it but  - correct me if i am wrong - this is not a guide;

thanks for the reply

DEckhoff wrote:

If you have access to the NX Help collection, there is a dedicated collection of topics for MCD.  Also, there are self-paced training lessons available for MCD on the Learning Advantage website.

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Yes, I am referring to the NX Help documentation for Mechatronics Concept Designer.  In NX 9 there is an embedded Quick Start guide that you may find helpful, although I still recommend the self-paced training for full exposure to all of the available functionality. 

To find the guide, search for "Mechatronics Concept Designer quick guide"

Experimenter
Experimenter

thanks for the reply

i followed the guide you suggested and yes it is a good way to get you started but i hopped for a more detailed guide for setting realtime variables between plc and siemens nx 9

I assume that there isn't such guide so i 'll find my way through practice.

thank you,

i consider my original qwestion as answered

Siemens Legend Siemens Legend
Siemens Legend

hello tasos,

you can find additional Information about how to setup an external connection in Mechatronics Concept Designer if you open the NX Help and go to "Mechatronics Concept Designer" and then to "external Connections".

You might need additional software or hardware, for example, if you want to connect a real PLC, I would suggest to use "Siemens SIMIT" and a "SIMBA Box" for a Shared Memory Connection (SHM) between the Mechatronics Concept Designer and the PLC.

Feel free to contact me if you need further information.

Creator
Creator

Hi! I've just set up a virtual commissioning experiment with PLCSIM and MCD using KEPServerEX andNetToPLC.

As you can see the OPC server is Up and running and the tag MW0 is correctly updated from PLCSIM

Now in MCD, with OPC signal mapping, I've assigned MW0 to the "parallel speed" of the conveyer object as an integer input. But that value in not updated...  it remain 300

At the same time the collision objet is triggered but the boolean varable E00 set as output in MCD and connected the the I0.0 tag of PLCSIM doesn't work eather... I do not understand what i'm dooing wrong or missed.

01.png

02.png

Siemens Legend Siemens Legend
Siemens Legend

Hello IIFincoITA and welcome to the Siemens PLM Community,

thank you for the detailed description of your Problem.

It seems like your OPC Connection is already working but your Signal Adapter is maybe not configured properly.

I would try to test the following first:

Check if your Signal Adapters in MCD are assigned properly to the Physics Objects; here is an example:

Signal Adapter Setup for Input and Output

I used one Signal Adapter for the Conveyor Speed and the Lightbarrier triggered status (but it would work with two seperated ones aswell, as you did it).

After that check if you can modify the values in the Runtime Inspector for the Signals manually during the simulation and if the parameters of the conveyor are updated properly (without OPC at this point).

So if that works for your model, try to setup the OPC Signal Mapping (OPC Server has to be running at this point), my configuration looks like this (you may have to find the OPC Server and initiate the tags first):

OPC Signal Mapping

My Physics Navigator and model looks like this at this point:

Finished MCD model with OPC Connection.png 

Please tell me if this helps to find the Solution. If this doesnt help you can also send me your MCD Model, I would look it through then.

Best regards

Viktor

Creator
Creator

Thanks a lot for you kind answer. The key that drive me to the goal was to try that the model works before connecting it.

I set up another model (a real one). It is a simple slide. I want to move it farward and read the sensors backward and farward.

Now I'm able to connect and control the PLC output A0.0 that move the slide forward. The only things that don't work are the backward and frontward sensors. Maybe I've disigned them incorrectly but they are right in MCD while in the OPC server they seems to blik a lot faster. I don't understand if it is the sliding joint the problem. Didn't find another option to extend the slide table.01.jpg

02.jpg

Creator
Creator
Solved... that values are bliking due to the lag of computer. Just written a couple of Ladder Segment and uploaded on PLCSIM and everything works fine. Now I'll try to simulate the entire station cycle with Object Souce and Sink
Virtual Commissioning Rocks