Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Solved! Go to solution

modeling letters and numbers

we do some metal stamping and I need to make models of the stamps with the numbers or letters on them. they want crisp imprints single line letters. The ones I am working on right now the want .030 inch tall by .015 wide and raised .004-.006 high with taper all around. the nc programmers can use text to drive their  cutter and make letters but I cannot use the text to drive my geometry to make my number, because the text is not tangent. any Ideas

23 REPLIES

Re: modeling letters and numbers

What type of fonts are you using?

Are you using NX fonts? (Blockfont, leroy, etc.) - availabe in drafting.

Or are you using modeling text commands, using Winodws (or linux) fonts (truetype/opentype/etc.) (Arial/Helvetica/etc.)?

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP5 + patch/TC11.2
I'd rather be steemed than diseaseled

I was going to insert a NX file to show what I am dealing with but I don't see anywhere to share a file or upload. I have spent hours patching together swept and other surfaces to create 1 number or letter, and I know our CNC programmers can select their cutting tool and then select text and they are pretty much done

except for the machining. It seems like what ever number crunching that is used to create the NC code could also be used to create a feature on a solid model. I know Vericut  can make a STL of the model as machined, and I know in NX 11 you can bring in STL files and work with them. there has to be a better. I am suprised no one else has had this question or problem.

I wonder if a person could use the nc or nci code as an expression to drive a sketched shape to create the number or letter. that would create the female of the number that you could use to subtract from a block to leave the boss of the number.

I believe NX11.0.1 has the ability to "Sweep" a solid - which can be used with a solid representation of the tool & the toolpath to get this.

But I don't understand the problem.

Create some (modeling) text curves using the font of interest, and extrude with taper?

If you need "stroked" (rather than outline) font, try "Modern"

RE: attachments - if you are using the web interface, click on the Browse" button under the text box (where you type stuff in) and select your file?

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP5 + patch/TC11.2
I'd rather be steemed than diseaseled

so are you saying I could take the modern text 2 and drive a 60 degree included triangle thru the 2 and create the number 2 .030 in tall by .015 wide raised .005. If so I would be grateful to see a file to see where I am missing it. 

If I use modeling text as outline and then extrude with taper, proportion becomes a problem. I am trying to create a sharp edge and none of the text has the same dimensions between each line therfore the apex height is different in different locations and the geometry may be sharp at one point and have a flat in other areas.  

[ Edited ]

If your NC programmers are using the tool shape to get the correct letters in the part, why do you need to model them? 

Your NC programmers could verify their program, and give you a facet body, if that helps.

Mark Rief
NX CAM Customer Success

My NC guys do some of our work, but a lot is done by outside venders, who want models of everything. Also I do not look very talented when I tell my boss I can't make the models of the letters and numbers he wants. although I am starting to feel better since no one out here has come up with a good solution for this. also we do not have Vericut to creat the STL and I am still on NX 9 untill January. Plus having to go thru the stl method seems like a pretty convoluted method.  Thanks for your reply

I work on a lot of injection molded parts; we often model in the text with the insert -> curve -> text command. Some fonts are more "machining friendly" than others, you will need to experiment a little to find what works for you. If you need something very specific, you might find a font that is close; create the text as unassociative and tweak the curves as needed.

Before NX supported true type fonts, we had a library of letters to build up text features. That was some tedious work. If the text size and location wasn't critical, we'd place a text note on the drawing view with some dimensions and leave it up to the machinists.