Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

motion cut

Experimenter
Experimenter

Is it possible in NX to make a cut using a motion path from an assembly or otherwise use an objects path of travel to create a smooth cut in another body?
Here is a video to give a rough idea of what I am talking about.
As you can imagine the path taken by this disk through the rotating plate would be very difficult or impossible to cut out exactly the material it travels through in motion using a loft, sweep or any other traditional methods. However if I could use one as a cutting body and the other as the cut body as I moved it through that range of motion it would make a perfect smooth cut.
I made this assembly in fusion 360 and it most definitely does not have any similar capability.

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/community/screencast/8a24eeed-3450-40c5-a709-118dbd70ef27

6 REPLIES

Re: motion cut

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Unfortunately the ability to sweep a solid and get the resulting "swept solid" as a Brep solid is a "non-trivial" task (from what little I know).

There's a reason Vericut and NX visualization (in CAM) result in faceted geometry (basically the same thing - sweeping a solid tool thru the blank when machining).

It would be really cool to get this, but I'm not sure when/if we will see it.

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP16/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steamed than e-diseaseled

Gears Honored Contributor Gears Honored Contributor
Gears Honored Contributor

Rumor has it that we'll get the first version of it in NX 11. I saw a demo at a RUG event. We'll be able to sweep a revolved body along a guide and subtract it from the target body.

This functionality was originally slated to be released in NX 9, so I wouldn't be surprised if it got pushed out again.

Experimenter
Experimenter

So how would you guys attempt to do something like this now? Take a couple still cuts, make sketches a little bigger than that and connect them witha loft or sweep? Or are there any other methods that could do it better in NX?

Thanks

Gears Honored Contributor Gears Honored Contributor
Gears Honored Contributor

If I had to do something like this in NX today, I'd take several points along the path of the cutter then create a spline through the points and use it to create a tool to trim the target solid.

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Does it have to be b-rep data?

If not:

Maybe do some CAM and create an in-process workpiece (faceted, but then you don't have to do much of the work, as long as you know CAM)

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP16/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steamed than e-diseaseled

Siemens Legend Siemens Legend
Siemens Legend

If you have the NX motion license, you can do the simulation of the moving body/bodies and during the animation of the simulation create copies of the moving bodies .

( The motion simulation calculates "in steps". you define in the setup the time to simulate and how many steps to divide the time in).  Each step can become "traced".  ( A copied body.)

These intermediate bodies can be used to define new faces etc.

It might not be simple, but as Ken said earlier in this thread, the math when a general body moves through space is extremely complex. The attached is a bowling pin from a "just-for-the-fun-of-it-simulation". ( i only included a single pin, there are 300 traces + the original.

Imagine the math needed to handle this as a "swept body".

IMPORT it into a new partfile. ( do not use File-Open because NX will create 300 components...)

Regards,

Tomas