Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

nx 11.02 files not opening in nx 11

Pioneer
Pioneer

I keep running into an error message when opening files in NX 11.0.0 that were created in NX 11.0.2 and keep getting an error message "Cannot open part.  It contains a trim curve feature created in a future version that is incompatible with this version."  This seemed a little odd to me - I would have thought V11 would open pretty much any V11 file - has anyone else run into this issue?  Is it simply because I am trying to open in 11.0.0 or is there another issue?  Any input would be appreciated - trying to get our IT gurus to install the latest maintenance packs, but they are always running behind and can be stubborn to install new software.

Thanks

Robert

7 REPLIES

Re: nx 11.02 files not opening in nx 11

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

One of the downsides to Siemens introducing new features in MRs...(I assume)

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP16/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steamed than e-diseaseled

Siemens Legend Siemens Legend
Siemens Legend
You should speak to GTAC about this.
This is a typical IR.
- Ben ? Dennis ? are you listening ?

/ Regards,
Tomas

Solution Partner Phenom Solution Partner Phenom
Solution Partner Phenom

Like @Ken_A is telling Siemens has started from NX 11 to add new enhancements and new features in the MR.

If you use the trim curve in NX11.0.1 or NX11.0.2 it won't open in NX11.0.0.

So it's possible that some features are causing that you don't can open the file in a lower MR release of NX11.

In the company you have to make sure now a day that every one has the same MR release of NX11 or NX12. But communicate this also to your suppliers or customers.

Ruud van den Brand
Pre-sales NX CAD
cards PLM Solutions

Siemens Honored Contributor Siemens Honored Contributor
Siemens Honored Contributor

@1u7obd wrote:
You should speak to GTAC about this.
This is a typical IR.
- Ben ? Dennis ? are you listening ?

/ Regards,
Tomas

As @ruud_vandenbrand mentioned, and @Ken_A hinted, yes this is due to the over 100 enhancements added to NX 11.0.1, the result of which (for some of those enhanced functionalities) may prevent a part created in a newer version of NX 11.0.1 (or NX 11.0.2) from being opened in the base version of NX 11.0.0.

It is uncommon for a customer to remain on a base version of NX (in this case NX 11.0.0) when several newer maintenance releases (NX 11.0.1 and NX11.0.2) have been released.

It is also uncommon for several maintenance releases of the same version of NX to be installed within a company.  Typically one version is rolled out to all workstations.

Further, NX 11.0.0 has reached End of Maintenance.

It is likely that if you contact GTAC, that they will instruct you to upgrade to a newer/supported version to prevent this issue from occurring.

Regards, Ben

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom
Most of the others have already said it. But NX 11.0.1 was a special case. This is not common practice, but so many new features where added in this version, unfortunately a few were not backwards compatible.
It's even so uncommon, we issued an sfb for this.
Have a look at http://solutions.industrysoftware.automation.siemens.com/view.php?si=sfb-nx-11032 for more info.

Kind regards,

Dennis
Dennis de Brouwer
Application Support Engineer
GTAC EMEA - Siemens Industry Software

Siemens Legend Siemens Legend
Siemens Legend

Thanks.

What is the "compatability scheme" for today ?

It "used to be" that files created in the same "main version number" where internally compatible,

I.e NX7.5.x opened any 7.5.x file
It sounds as if there is a new scheme in place.

Will NX12.0.1 files open in NX12.0.0 ?

Will 12.0.2 files open in NX12.0.1 ?

Regards,

Tomas

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Hello Thomas,

This is still true for all versions of NX.

NX 12.0.2 files can be opened in NX 12.0.0 and 12.0.1.

NX 11.0.2 files can be opened in NX 11.0.1.

The only exception was for some features in NX 11.0.1 (and so also NX 11.0.2), that could not be opened in NX 11.0.0. But this is only true for a very limited number of features. So even most of the NX 11.0.1/.2 part files can be opened as normal in NX 11.0.0. Except for the few parts that contain the features described in SFB.

Hope this clarifies this a bit.

Kind regards,

Dennis

Dennis de Brouwer
Application Support Engineer
GTAC EMEA - Siemens Industry Software