Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

nx - how to manage designs without teamcenter

Experimenter
Experimenter

Good day to everybody,

I am considering changeng cad system from subsctription based soild edge to nx, but what stopping me is managing designs without database, teamcenter /it is beyond our budget/.

Is there a smart way to revise data, find where part is used, dependencies, clone designs, rename data, export boms, watch correct file naming etc. - in one word - is there, in nx world, an alternative to solid sdge design manager.

https://community.plm.automation.siemens.com/siemensplm/attachments/siemensplm/solid-edge-tkb/455/1

/PrakashA_SEU16_Built-In%20Data%20Management.pdf

How can it be done?

Thanks in advance for your help!

13 REPLIES

Re: nx - how to manage designs without teamcenter

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

What I have seen (in general terms)

- Folder structures on shared drives, with different ones for "in work" vs. "released", and procedures (.bat files or whatever) to move from one to the other.  Standard parts may be in another tree.  For "released" files, make sure to set permissions (or "read only" check) to prevent writing.

- set up "search directories" (in load options) to look for files in the appropriate order

- There are ways to set up revision rules (revision designation is part of the file name) so you can "kind of" do "load latest"

I'm sure there's more to it than that, but at least the above is a starting point.

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP16/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steamed than e-diseaseled

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

I don't know about any specific command to make BOMs inside NX but in drafting environment you can create a part list with customized fields and levels so you create your own BOM and export it to excel.

There is a command to clone assemblies. It looks old but you can create renaming rules, exceptions...

I think there is some kind of rule to adding text at the end of filenames in windows so NX understand diferent revisions of a file by reading its name. Not sure how it works.

I don't know how you can do the rest of things you asked. But I think the basic version of TC is not very expensive.

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom

Setting up revision rules can be a pain, and your users have to abide by rules, since the part file name would have "seperators".  At a past job, we used a period as our sperrator, and had a user that loved to type a period in his part name, so the versioning rules would go haywire.

-Dave
NX 11 | Teamcenter 11 | Windows 8.1

Siemens Honored Contributor Siemens Honored Contributor
Siemens Honored Contributor

Setting up revision rules can be a pain...

You also need a doctorate in regular expressions to understand the syntax

Phenom
Phenom

If anyone's interested in RegEx this site is a godsend: RegExr

Graham Inchley Snr R&D Engineer (Systems Development), Sandvik Coromant
Lenovo ThinkPad W540, Win7, 16GB. Developing in: Java | C | KF
Production: [NX8.5.3.3 MP11 64bit] Testing: [NX12.0.0.27 MP1]

Siemens Honored Contributor Siemens Honored Contributor
Siemens Honored Contributor

It seems there's practical joker in the office...

20170127_124512.jpg

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

lol @BenBroad's honorary degree.

In addition to the site posted by @Inch, I also regularly (pun intended) make use of

http://www.regular-expressions.info/ for reference

and

http://regexhero.net/ for testing

Regexhero has an option to generate .net code to make use of the regular expression. The code can be copied and pasted into a journal and used with little tweaking.

Phenom
Phenom

One more RegEx site I have used is txt2re.com, it will parse a string you input and let you select how to build up the RegEx by simply clicking the relevant links. From this it generates RegEx code in 15 different langauges.

Graham Inchley Snr R&D Engineer (Systems Development), Sandvik Coromant
Lenovo ThinkPad W540, Win7, 16GB. Developing in: Java | C | KF
Production: [NX8.5.3.3 MP11 64bit] Testing: [NX12.0.0.27 MP1]

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Have you looked into Teamcenter rapid start?

The program is designed for smaller businesses and smaller budgets, to get you a more cost effect managed environment, and smooth out the initial implementation hurdles...