Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

nx on virtual environment

Solution Partner Legend Solution Partner Legend
Solution Partner Legend

Hi Experts,

Does somebody have an experience or documentation about running NX on virtual environment?

Also, what is your feedback, comment or recommendation regarding this subject?

Thanks in advance! Smiley Happy

Regards,

Jahnsen

8 REPLIES

Re: nx on virtual environment

Genius
Genius
We are currently testing the usage of NX in a virtual Environment. NX itself is working good but the users still want "their computer under their desks" :-)
We also have a Problem with our space mouse - some of the Buttons are not working. This seems to be a Driver Problem because another space mouse is working without any Problems...

Solution Partner Legend

HI,

Thanks for the reply buddy, by the way. have you tried installing your license server in a virtual machine?

do you think this will work just fine?

once again Thank you!

Regards,

Sen

Genius
Genius
Our license server is a virtual server as long as I can remember. Most of our servers are virtual machines. For the license Server we have in fact two identical machines. And if one machine is down for any unexpected reason the second one is up and running in less than one second... (but do not ask me how it works, because this is done by our data center)
but it is on a Server not on the virtual workstations...

Solution Partner Legend

Thanks! you are a great help.

I'm familiar with the failover because I have participated once in setting up servers running in ESXi.

do you encounter disconnection or any data loss during this failover period?

also, do you have an idea on how to install the liicense server on a virtual server?

once again, Thank you very much!

Genius
Genius
I see no difference between a "normal" server and a virtual server. Or what difference do you see between them?

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

I believe if you want to run the license server on a VM, you have to tell Siemens ahead of time.  Read the license server install docs to be sure.

RE: Failover:

As long as its quick enough, users shouldn't even know it changed.  An occasional user might try to check out a license when its down, get an error, then try again and its OK.  They should not lose any data (I think even if the server is down completely, they have an opportunity to save their parts).

While we don't use VM, every now & then I have to stop/restart our license server *service* (to enable a new license file or whatever), and I don't worry too much about the users (although I try to do it "after hours", we have users 24x7, so there's always someone working in NX).  (note I just do the service, not reboot the server itself)

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP16/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steamed than e-diseaseled

PLM World Member Genius PLM World Member Genius
PLM World Member Genius

I know you for a fact you just have to call GTAC or your Siemens Rep and they can issue you a new license for a VM. We're running ours on VMWare ESXI 5.5.

--
Ryan Gudorf
CAD/CAM Supervisor
Budde Sheet Metal Works, Inc.
Windows 7 Professional x64 SP1
Solid Edge V20
NX11.0.1
TC10.1.5 32 GB RAM, nVIDIA Quadro K4200

Solution Partner Legend

Hi!