Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

open source design projects?

Genius
Genius
As every coder knows, the best way to learn to write good codes is to read some established open source projects, such as those from Google. Such kind of resources are very easy to get on the web.

A part design with elaborate history is in fact a coding project. But it seems to be very difficult to find many high-quality "open source" NX parts, especially sophisticated ones. This makes the learning process very slow. And I don't think this is in the interest of the software producers.
6 REPLIES

Re: open source design projects?

Phenom
Phenom

Ciao @surfactant

Some skilled users, I mean users like StevenVickers, BenBroad, cowsky1 and others, provide you very precious tips. They gave you some generic sample files, I don't design spoons Smiley Wink, and some real project images, a camera support (in my case https://community.plm.automation.siemens.com/t5/NX-Design-Forum/quot-Class-A-quality-quot-surface/m-... ) this for confidentiality reasons.
I hope I can help you

Siemens Valued Contributor Siemens Valued Contributor
Siemens Valued Contributor
I think that this is a really interesting subject! By viewing other designers way of work you can really learn a lot.
I remember the first time I saw a model created based on the "chunky solid" metodology. I laughed quite hard at it a few times and also showed my colleagues whom also laughed. It took me a while, but later I understood the beauty of that specific method. This insight led to that I, a few years later, defined the way of work for a automation project in NX using a flavour of this method. Without this insight I don't think that we could have been able to create complex 3D models with 2D drawings that were robust enough to handle the variation that the components had and still update correctly every time for every variant.

Genius
Genius

Hi @Cesare

You, along with many other friends like StevenVickers, BenBroad, cowsky1 and TimF, are absolutly helpful! I'm always appreciative for what I learnt from you in this forum! As to your "spoon", I spent more than half a day to undersand it completely!

I'm talking about some of my thoughts from my experience as a coder. Maybe that's a field completely different from 3D modelling. Hope that you would not mind!

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

An interesting idea. One suggestion is that we could have a new forum area similar to the NX Design Knowledge Base where people could submit example parts, construction tips and trick and the like.

Steve V

Legend
Legend

There is a guy on Youtube who does some very informative videos on Class A modeling for Catia and NX.

I don't do Class A surfacing myself, but I've found numerous things to help me out in my line of work from them.

https://www.youtube.com/user/ClassASurfacing

Rob Newcomb, CAD/CNC/Simulation manager
Elmhirst Industries, Specializing in Prototype sheet metal stampings and assemblies

Production: NX 12.0.2 / Autoform r7 /WorkNC 2018 r2
Testing:NX EAP
PC: Rave Cadbeast: Intel(R) i7-4790K CPU @ 4.GHz /32gb ram /NVIDIA Quadro P2000 on Win10 Pro

Genius
Genius

Hi @R_Newcomb   Very helpful videos. Thank you!