cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

patterns

Experimenter
Experimenter

Can anyone tell me if there is a way to use one pattern (the same exact pattern) on multiple models so that when you change the pattern it changes on all of the models. Example: I have several different size plates with the same screw hole pattern in all of them. I want to be able to change one pattern and have all of the screw holes in all of the plates update. Is this possible with NX 10?

11 REPLIES

Re: patterns

One way to make this happen would be by using interpart expressions to connect/share the values.
This way one model will be the source for the pattern. The downside of this is that the source needs to be loaded to update the expressions. I've done projects where we used a specific part containing (only) all the shared expressions to avoid the need for loading part geometry from other parts.

Edit: As long as you don't need to change the pattern type...

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Another option is to use WAVE linking.  You could (for example) lay out the pattern as a sketch in a separate "master layout" part, then assemble that part into all the places it is needed, and WAVE link the geometry across. (or just use the geometry by selecting in the component?)

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP5 + patch/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steemed than e-diseaseled

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

You could consider Part Families.  Your Part Family Template part is the driving part from which multiple plates are created (Part Family Members).  Each member is a different size, controlled by the Part Family Template's Spreadsheet, but the pattern is driven by the geometry in the Part Family Template.  If you ever need to update the pattern in the master template (and hence the members) you simply open the spreadsheet and update the members.  Part Family Members are read only.  Their content is defined exclusively by their master Part Family Template.

Regards, Ben

Experimenter
Experimenter

Thank you for your response. When I wave link I loose the link to the original pattern.

I'll keep working on a solution.

Thanks.

Siemens Genius Siemens Genius
Siemens Genius

Look at the following movie as a possible workflow for your problem.

• In the file where you define the hole pattern, don't subtract the hole tool.
  • Use pattern geometry to define the pattern
  • In the child parts wave link to the pattern bodies as well as the original hole tool using 'Feature Bodies' as the selection intent
  • Create only one feature for all the linked bodies and then subtract the tools from each child plate

(view in My Videos)

Hope this is helpful.

Abe

Experimenter
Experimenter
Thank you for your help.

Wave linking does work for this but the problem is that you lose the power of the pattern.

Example: I have 3 rectangular plates, the first plate has a pattern in it with 60 counterbored holes. The second plate has points that are wave linked to the plate with the counterbored holes and so does the third plate. Now when I want to put the tapped holes in the second plate all I have is 60 points that are linked to the first plate. I have to pick all 60 points in order to put the tapped holes in. When I go to assemble the plates I will have to place 60 screws one at a time into those holes. Picking points and placing screws one at a time becomes very time consuming. I know they are linked but you lose the power of the pattern. With my previous software you could make plate number two your work part and reference the pattern in plate number one. What you would do was link one point on plate number two to the reference point in the pattern on plate number one. And then you would tell it to reference the pattern in plate number one and it would put all 60 tapped holes in. You would assemble one screw and then click reference the pattern in plate one and it would assemble all 60 screws.

Is there any way to do something like that in NX10 or NX11?

Regards,
Mike Campagna

Engineering Manager
Armin Tool & Mfg.
1500 N. LaFox St.
South Elgin, IL 60177
mike_campagna@armin-ind.com
Direct: 847-214-5444
Cell: 630-200-1389
Fax: 847-742-0253

Phenom
Phenom

Experimenter
Experimenter

Thank you. I think this is what I'm looking for.

Phenom
Phenom

@MikeCamp

Check if you can see my Youtube uploads;

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=UUXcoz3tBbWdr-cqMfhr2vsA

Those show many useful applications but since a few video clips show some of NX limitations, they were removed from the NX Knowledge Base. 

Michael Fernando

Die Designer
NX 11.0.2.7 + PDW