Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

problems and missing options with the stl export feature

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi,

i am running (GER) NX11 on Windows 7 and need to export some Files to stl.

in the Menu i miss some Options i would only get when i select sheet bodies for export.

https://docs.plm.automation.siemens.com/tdoc/nx/11.0.2/nx_help/#goto:rapidprototyping:xid1205322

Where can i find the tickbox sheet bodies for export to get those Options?

When i try to export it to stl i always get the error "negative koordinates found"

anybody knows how to fix this?

4 REPLIES

Re: problems and missing options with the stl export feature

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Hi @symbolinsight,

If part contains sheets/sheet bodies then they must be sewn together to have solid/water tight body. About negative coordinate error, solid body should be present in the first quadrent of WCS. Just reorient the WCS then you will be able to export as STL.

Phenom
Phenom

You should see those options that pertain to sheet bodies only when you select a sheet body to export.

The error about negative coordinates is a useless error message. Don't bother to fix anything. Maybe years ago the fist stereo-lithography 3D printing machine using wet epoxy that cured with a laser must have had its XY origin in the corner, so all X an Y coordinates should have been in the positive quadrant. 

I would not move the WCS system to avoid this error, because that could cause other problems later where you might find a command such as PMI commands that might use the WCS for something. Just take that error as confirmation that you have properly centered your part around the coordinate system.

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Thank you for the quick response.

@GaneshKadole
The part is a solid part i mainly used the extrude feature - it's water tight.
@MarkLawry
In addition to this error nothing was exported so there is no way to just ignore Smiley Happy.
In almost flickering speed another error message showed up claiming to have problems with moving something...

On a different pc (also NX11 same Version) it worked just fine but we had the additional sheet body settings ticked in the export stl option box as you can see in the link i provided.

After restarting at this very moment it exported it just fine with no hassle - it might one of the turn off and on things..
nevertheless do you know how to set the export options to sheet as mentioned in the link above?
We had sheed options on watertight parts wo it must be a general thing right?

Phenom
Phenom

The STL export settings I know about are File-->Utilities--> Customer Defaults -->General -->Translators --> STL Export

This is mainly default tolerances.

To get the sheet options shown in the link above, the only way I see them is when I knowingly select a sheet body when prompted to "select objects to export" by the STL Export dialog box.

The STL format is designed for "stereo lithography" or 3d printing, so the error messages guide you to try to export a "sewn" solid model. Although it does let you export an open sheet.

Could you have problems with the tolerances being too large or too small? These could be session specific.