Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

project in a special direction

Genius
Genius
I want to project a circle to a surface created from two conics. The projection need to be in the direction of the purple line as shown in the attached part file.

I can't find a feature to do the job. Hope to have your suggestion. Thanks!

Image.png

Image.pngImage.png
7 REPLIES

Re: project in a special direction

Genius
Genius
Below is my solution. 5 steps!

Image.png

Phenom
Phenom

Dear @surfactant,

it seems to me that many of your questions are 'theoretical' and I find it hard to understand what you purpose is.

For the first Projected Curve why do you not use the purple line as vector in the Projection Direction option?

Ciao

Genius
Genius

Hi @Cesare Thanks!

it seems to me that many of your questions are 'theoretical' and I find it hard to understand what you purpose is.

I had some training in proramming. To write code that works, a coder would try to predict the result of running the code precisely. The habit seems not to be very good in surfacing, which sometimes need trial and error.

For the first Projected Curve why do you not use the purple line as vector in the Projection Direction option?

The projection direction should not be fixed to the purple line, as shown in my second post. 

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Hi Surfactant,

Difficult to understand the design intent, as this is another small piece of the big picture, and give proper advice. However what you want to use here is a law extension, I believe. Use the Extrude surface as the constraining face.

Best Regards

FredLaw.JPG

Genius
Genius

Hi @Sandman   Thanks for the solution based on law extension!

I thought that I understood your solution. When I tried to do it later, it seemed not be as I imagined.

Image.pngImage.png

Image.pngImage.png

Highlighted

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Hi Surfactant,

You have found an issue with your version of NX. The issue is resolved in at least NX12, I havent tested with the latest vesrions of NX11. As a workaround do the following:

1. Add a horizontal line to the center of your sketch containing the circle (Base String to your law extension) so that you can use the half circle.
  2. Create a Law Extension using the half circle
  3. Create another Law Extension for the remain of the circle or (in this specific case you can) mirror the just created Law Extension.

Best Regards

Fred

Law_Ext_WO.JPG

Genius
Genius

Hi @Sandman   Thanks a lot for your help and patience!