Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Divide Curve" not available in Sketcher

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom

I don't think it ever was, I recall "Divide Curve" going hidden many moons ago.  Now I have users wanting that functionality within the sketcher.  I guess Solidworks has a "Split" and "Join" command in their sketcher.

Any consideration in the future to add this functionality to the Sketcher?  or is it ER submission time.

Edit.  User just added the "Divide Curve" button to his sketcher toolbar, and it works, curves divide, BUT if he divides an arc, it jacks up his ability to select arc centers.  I didn't think it would work, since thats a non-sketch tool.

Thanks,

Dave

-Dave
NX 11 | Teamcenter 11 | Windows 10
5 REPLIES

Re: "Divide Curve" not available in Sketcher

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

OK, I tested this myself and it seems to work fairly well.  In fact, in trying this for about an hour I was not able to get anything that I would consider an 'error' or even a serious 'gotcha' (note that I was tesing NX 10.0.1.3).

That being said there are a couple of things that you need to watch for.  To start with, take the example of a simple line in which used the Divide Curve function split it into two segments.  Now the good news is the two segments will be constrained so as to stay connected as if you had created them using the 'Profile' option.  Now what doesn't happen is that they are NOT going to be constrained to be the same length.  Granted, they start out that way, but moving the common connection point will result in the two curves having different lengths.  If want them to stay the same length you'll need to that as an additional manually applied constraint.

Now I tested this on arcs, circles, ellipses, even splines and while some of the spline results were odd, once you thought about it for a moment, it's exactly what you should have expected in the first place, but it worked really well with arcs and ellipses much better than I expected.   The only thing that you can't use 'Divide Curve' on are the so-called 'Recipe' curves like Intersection and Projected Curves, but not to worry, you will not be able to select these curves when using 'Divide Curve' so you can't get into any real trouble.

The only real caveat at the moment is that if you divide a say a line that had two arcs tangent to it, that after the divide both arcs will still be constrained tangent to only one of the segments since the new segment will have a new and different object ID, but that's true when using something like 'Divide Curve' outside the sketcher as well, so that behavior is not unique to a sketch environment just that it might be more apparent since more easy to see relationship are created when creating and constraining a set of curves inside the sketcher. 

So I guess the bottom line, if you would like to have to option when creating a sketch, go ahead and use Customize to add the 'Divide Curve' icon to the sketcher ribbon.  Granted, it's not officially supported so if you do run into a problem, there won't be anything that we do about it, but from the testing that I've done I personally wouldn't avoid doing this (I just added it to MY Sketcher ribbon).

Now if there is enough interest in this being formalized as a supported capabilities, please feel free to contact GTAC and have them open an ER to that effect.  I've discusses this with the sketcher team-leader and his boss and while they can't make any promises, if there is an interest in this from enough users they will certainly give it serious consideration as it seems to be something that might be easy to implement.  The only real effort on the part of development would be the testing and the documentation of any caveats and limitations.

John R. Baker, P.E. (ret)
EX-Product 'Evangelist'
Irvine, CA

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom

Thanks John.  IR/ER officially submitted.

-Dave

-Dave
NX 11 | Teamcenter 11 | Windows 10

Experimenter
Experimenter

hy guys iam new in NX

i have a wierd problem . when i am in sketch (modeling) i can use MENU > EDIT > Curve > Divide

but when i use that sketch (for example in extrude) when i right click on that and use edit with rollback i cant use divide !

the only way to use divide again is to remove extrude !!!

i had same problem with siemens nx 8 and 9

Experimenter
Experimenter

@newmoon wrote:

hy guys iam new in NX

i have a wierd problem . when i am in sketch (modeling) i can use MENU > EDIT > Curve > Divide

but when i use that sketch (for example in extrude) when i right click on that and use edit with rollback i cant use divide !

the only way to use divide again is to remove extrude !!!

i had same problem with siemens nx 8 and 9

>>> update !!! i have found a way to make it work ! right click on the sketch and use "make current feature" will make it work...

but why NX will remove some features in such conditions ?????? Smiley Frustrated

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

When you edit a sketch as the current feature, you're working in the 'Sketch Task" environment which has it's own set of icons and menu items.  Perhaps they've been edited out when in the normal sketcher.

John R. Baker, P.E. (ret)
EX-Product 'Evangelist'
Irvine, CA