Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: "Fill Surface" guidelines?

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

The sharp edges is the problem. If you want quality surfaces then be nice to the math.

2018-02-02 11_46_18-NX 11 - Modeling - [2018.02.01 - Fill Surface fails-sv1.prt].png

Steve V

Genius
Genius

Hi @StevenVickers   Thanks for your solution!

Sorry for two trivial questions on your practice:

1. Why do you prefer Studio Surface where people generally use Thru Curve Mesh?

Image.png

2. Why do you bother to extract 4 short curves simply to get G0 continuity?

Image.png

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom

@surfactant,

In example 1, you're trying to assign curvature to surfaces that are pretty much circles. You can assign curvature from side to side because your Bridge Curves are G2, however top to bottom you're using arcs to define that direction and expecting arcs to be curvature continuous to the planes which sit on the top and bottom tangencies to the tubes.

If you look at Steve's example (which I have not), I will bet the upper and lower surfaces between the rings have non-planar surfaces, which there isn't anything WRONG with that, but the result and which method you use is going to depend upon the requirements you have to meet.

The other option might be to change the cross sections of the tubes such that they're more appropriate for G2 and all at the same height from top to bottom.

See my attached NX11 file and note the 2 red splines - I'm hoping those are the cross sections needed on the tubes for a common top to bottom height, or close to it, with G2 in the top to bottom direction.

Tim
NX 11.0.2.7 MP11 Rev. A
GM TcE v11.2.3.1
GM GPDL v11-A.3.6

Genius
Genius

Hi @TimF    Thanks for your explanation! It makes me understand the seemingly simple job much better!

Siemens Phenom

Just use Studio Surface as it is easy to switch from Through Curve to Through Curve Mesh construction and I quick way to show the main point of not going to a sharp corner.

The continuity of the Fill was just an oversights on my part. Need to edit the feature.

If I really wanted high quality surfaces I would however use a different method to using Fill. If I find time I will create another version.

Steve V
Highlighted

Siemens Phenom
Several versions ago, the difference was this :
The studio surface "will always attempt" to create an as simple and clean surface as possible, ( - the Class A thinking) It might not create a surface if the input is poor.
The trough curve mesh will create a 3x3 degree surface with as many patches as required to create a surface within the given tolerance. It will always create a surface, no matter the input. "zillions of patches" is not class A. You cannot prove the shape.

I do not know if the Studio surface is still that "stubborn" or if it has eased the requirements.

Tomas

Genius
Genius

Hi @1u7obd   Thanks for very helpful information on Studio Surface!

Hi @StevenVickers   Thanks for sharing your practice!

Legend
Legend

I thought Fill Surface was designed as a simple patching tool.

Before Fill Surface, N-sided or Through mesh curves were my main tool for that.  I'm not sure when Patch Openings came about but by the time I noticed it Fill surface was introduced.

For the work I do, mainly soft tooling and fixtures for sheet metal stampings. Fill Surface is my go-to command for patching holes from bad offsets or poor quality imported geometry. For almost 20 years I've only had an Advanced Designer license, Now I have an automotive Supplier engineering license. I'm still discovering "new to me" tools.

Rob Newcomb, CAD/CNC/Simulation manager
Elmhirst Industries, Specializing in Prototype sheet metal stampings and assemblies

Production: NX 12.0.2 / Autoform r8 /WorkNC 2019 r1
Testing:NX 1855
PC: Rave Cadbeast: Intel(R) i7-4790K CPU @ 4.GHz /32gb ram /NVIDIA Quadro P2000 on Win10 Pro

Genius
Genius

Hi @R_Newcomb   Thanks for your comments!